All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

New Trooper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Other Trooper queries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon Brookes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:19    Post subject: New Trooper Reply with quote

Just bought a 1992 3door van 3.1 for £450, will see if it's a bargain when I MOT it. Engine is good, could put it in the Land Rover if body is U/S. Will keep you posted.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:19    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wotcha ... good luck Wink

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

Simon Brookes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhanagar,

With which bit?... lol, I'm hoping it's a good one so we can use it as a dive boat tow tractor and catering van/catering trailer tow tractor. I'd rather not transplant it into the 110. The current engine (Frontera 2.8) doesnt like starting, however the Frontera forum seems to think this is normal, my old 2.8 (ex-trooper) barely turned over before it fired even in the freezing cold. I'm at a bit of a loss to why this is, unless its really fussy with timing or theres an age related pump fault on all these old Fronty motors.

Simon.
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Trooper 2.8 fires if I breath on the key. You have to make sure the battery is up to it for a start. Also keeping on top of the service intervals is a must. Decent set of NGK glowplugs again helps. Lazy 2.8 starting isn't normal. Check your fuel lines to and from the engine. Also the filter and filter housing can commonly let air in. I would see about replacing both of them, and take care not to cross thread the filter when installing it.

When Vauxhall used the 2.8 they fitted the larger 3.1 Trooper turbo and went for a front mounted intercooler. Other than this its exactly the same.

Which Frontera group out of interest?

Deceased

Simon Brookes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.fronteraowners.co.uk

I wish it would start that easy, replaced the filter, the housing and the sedimenter. I have an in tank pump that easily pumps any air back to the tank after it has presurised the pump.

I may try a test with all induction parts removed (air direct into manifold) and the fuel straight from the tank (in line filter in place) to the pump, if it fires then clearly there's a fault.
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh .. I am a long time member there (RatCav) Very Happy

Have you made sure the breather for the tank isn't blocked, and/or the lines aren't perished. They are common issues that cause this.

Deceased

Simon Brookes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its almost as if theres air in the high presure side on start up, or, for some reason I get too much fuel or not enough air, If I hold the key in long enough it'll keep turning and produce billowing clouds of smoke.
The alternative starting method is 2 goes on the plugs then just a flick on ignition, 2 - 3 quick bursts and she roars into life. I had been thinking all the normal deppressing thoughts;

low compresssion - tested out ok 400psi across all four
injectors - pop tested fine
internal pump fault? no idea what though.
Check TDC accurately mark on pulley might not be right - yet to do this
Set up timing on a dial gauge - yet to do this!
Test with no air induction in place - yet to do this
Test with only one small in line filter in place direct to pump - yet to do this

Changed my leak off pipes too and fitted an NRV to stop fuel flowing back along main fuel line to pump
The return line is fine accidentally tested that when I fitted a new fuel filter, forgot to fill it and prime it on the bulb and the in tank pump just pumped the air through and back to the tank and stopped bubbling.
Simon Brookes

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

New troopers body work is a tad rough, failed MOT on roll bar bushes. Easy enough to sort out. Need some tyres too and other niggles to fettle, looks a solid little thing for now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Other Trooper queries All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: