Adrian Flux : 01553 845 945

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UKô
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Rodeo 2.5 or 3 litre - advice for son-in-law who's looking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UKô Forum Index -> Rodeo forum suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retro Pedro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 21:11    Post subject: Rodeo 2.5 or 3 litre - advice for son-in-law who's looking Reply with quote

My son-in-law is looking to buy a modern 4x4 cabin/pick up. He's mention Navara and Mitsui L200 but I've told him to broaden his horizons and have a look at the Isuzu Rodeo/Denver. Before he parts with his money, can anybody give me the heads up on what to look for in the way of common faults on these Isuzus.
I've assumed Isuzu have learnt the errors of the way with the Trooper 3 litre injector seals and got it right with the Rodeo/Denver.
From a reliability perspective, is there a preference between the 2.5 or 3 litre?
I have read on here that the TF model is the last ones made in Japan and would be the way to go, but in all honesty, I don't know much about these motors to judge.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 21:11    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

RobinM

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi....  Rodeo problems - mostly with early models - (all gleaned either from the web, or by ringing up knowledgable dealers).... 1) Severe rear chassis corrosion in certain US States, due to use of lots of road salt in the winter. 2) Brake warning light diode problem 3) Throttle Postion Sensor (TPS) body faults -> Limp mode 4) Spare wheel mounting corrosion 5) Drive shaft rubbing on fuel tank due to cracked mounting 6) Rear door on canopy - lock insecure 7) Tappet cover gasket oil leak (3 litre 4JH1 engine) 8) Indicator stalk switch and (especially drivers') electric window switches are prone to carbon build-up 9) Hesitant engine - clean carbon out of EGR valve 10) Failure of alternator (Hitachi alternators (Trooper) are known for a tendency to go short-circuit between stator windings and frame - repair uneconomic - replacement about £ 150 (7 years ago) 11) Ignition switch barrel loose - replace barrel 12) Poor cold starting/excessive smoke (2.5 engine) - replace fuel pump - about £ 280 13) Brake master cylinder recall 31-10-07 - front brake failure 14) 4WD or Low Ratio Gear engagement - any reluctance or noise/vibration - replace electric acuator on transfer box (also, with actuator removed, 'exercise' transfer box using screwdriver fitted into internal splines in transfer box - stiffness usually due to lack of use/oil changes) 14) Catalytic converter failure 15) Oxygen (O2) Sensor failure 16) Fuel Pressure Solenoid failure.
Having said all that, the Rodeo is regarded by the farming community as one of the most reliable and rugged (more rugged than Toyota) pickups available today.
It is said that Isuzu, alone among the pickup manufacturers, utilise 'truck' components rather than 'car' components in their pickups.
A lot of the faults above will never be seen in the life of the vehicle - others are 'stock faults' - like alternator failure - which will eventually happen to any vehicle.
The 2999cc 4JH1TC engine (131hp/Euro3) used in Rodeos up to 2007 is a development of the original 2771cc 4JB1T (the 2.8 used in the original 'square-shape' Trooper). This is a gear driven pushrod engine, slightly noisier than later units, but simple, robust and reliable.
The 2499cc 4JK1TCX engine (136hp/Euro4) used in Rodeos after 2007 is a gear/short chain/gear driven 4 valve per cylinder twin-overhead camshaft engine. This engine also appears in the Dmax pickup in Euro 5 guise. It is presumably a development of the not-very-good 3 litre 4JX1 engine used in later Troopers, but there have been no serious reliability problems reported (that I have seen). The reviews state that this is a 'more refined' engine than the 4JH1 - this means smoother and quieter. This engine has a dual-mass flywheel and a 'pull type' clutch (see YouTube). One dealer I spoke to said that they had chaged one dual-mass flywheel in about 7 years - so no serious reliability problems. Milner have a solid flywheel available if you want one - BUT there was one report/doubt expressed on the web regarding crankshaft failure following replacement of a dual-mass flywheel with a solid one.
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rodeo and Denver (then D-Max) uses a completely different engine to that of the Trooper. They realised the reliability issues with the 4JX1 couldn't be continued and came up with something new.  Two options available the 2.5 and 3.0. The 3.0 is NOT the 4JX1 found in the Trooper. They then made the D-Max in a 2.5 guise. The latest 2.5 is more economical, more powerful, and better on admissions than the earlier 2.5 and 3.0.

If the forum is anything to go by we get precious little issues with any of the Denver's and D-Max's.

I was speaking to someone the other day (professional toilet hire) who has used L200's, Defender's, Denver's, and D-Max's. He said the L200 was just impractical as it didn't have the towing capacity. The Defender's were ok but like the L200 repair costs were often and horrible. He ran a 3.0 Denver and used the 3.5 ton towing capacity all the time and had never any cause for concern. He upgraded to the 2.5 D-Max recently and says it is the best truck they have ever had. He is now going to replace his fleet of 5 vehicles with them.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UKô Forum Index -> Rodeo forum suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: