4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Newbie....with a turbo problem

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its the 3.0DT make sure they use 5w30 Oil when they service your trooper. Not sure what the 3.1 uses...
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 17:28    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Roby

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whining turbos are fine...if you have a turbo problem you will know because it will undoubtedly start to burn oil. I have exactly this problem which started by smoking at start up, and then clearing shortly after. I thought it was probably valve stem oil seal so I just left it. Then it got worse very quickly and now just burns clouds of smoke all the time.
Yesturday, I took off the air intake and intercooler and found lots of oil in the compressor side of the turbo so it definitely needs a rebuild/replacement. I also started it up to see if it burned any oil and it did for a short time and then cleared completely. I left it for a couple of hours and started it again...remember, still no intercooler connected so it was just drawing in air straight into the manifold...anyway it smoked just the tinyist bit and cleared almost immediately. It also idled very smoothly. I reckon that there is probably some valve stem seal wear, but not enough to tear the motor down, so I need to get the turbo sorted out now.

Is it worth getting one from a scrappy or repaired or new...?

Thanks for sharing your experiences...

Rob.
alcudia

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

WARNING to turbo replacers!!

I have just replaced a turbo on a 3.1TD 4LG2 and may have not needed to!!

BEFORE you dump the turbo and £1000 into the bargin be very carefull to check that it is not the rocker box top breather that is putting oil into the inlet of the turbo. This will knacker the turbo its self in the long run but the turbo may not be the problem if sorted quickly.

The turbo will hold quite a bit of oil in the inlet housing and give the impression (as mine did) that the oil seals are gone - mine wearnt.

Also the oil feed return pipe under the turbo may be blocked and restricting the return flow causing leakage from an otherwise perfect turbo or crankcase preasure - due to a blocked breather - can cause the same.

Whining - excessive - is apparantly caused by the ceramic heat sheild on the HOT side of the turbo braking up - especialy on the VIAN type turbo's (the early ones with the central silver clamp band). this will finally break up and the rest of the turbo will quickly follow.

Swapping the turbo is actually not as bad a job as it first looks and i have the ISUZU workshop manual PDF's that i will e-mail to anyone interested - if they send me a e-mail add. It took me about 4 hours in total. The key points are:

Remove drivers side front wheel - you will need it to stand on anyway!
Remove battery
Remove intercooler
Remove aircinditioning compressor (back bottom bolt to be accesed from under the wheel arch with about 4 extentions and 3 unversal joints - dont bother re-fitting, 3 large bolts for one compresser are probably enough)
Put aircon compressr where battery used to go.
Drain coolant
Disconnect all banjo's and save copper washers
Start shouting and swearing
Disconnnect exhoust at the joint with the down pipe
Disconnect oil return feed
Then remove ataching bolts and pull turbo free

Replacment is the opposite of removal but remember to blow out the oil return feed

Recon turbo's are available from AET Engineering at Normanton in West Yorkshire for £350 inc VAT. Will try and post there number later.

Try and - if possible - re fit a VI95 turbo as thse can be easily repaired (though spin up a little slower). The VIAN and VICC can not in any real practical terms be repaired.

In the end i was not too P***D at having to replace mine as the blades were cracked and worn and would have disntigrated soon anyway - but the oil seals were fine!!!

Hoe this helps

Lee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: