QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

EASY solution to overheating

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Browndoff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 17:59    Post subject: EASY solution to overheating Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
I've seen many posts on replacing the standard Trooper's viscous-fluid-clutch fans with electrical ones - because they're just NOT COOLING the engines enough. I've done some research and found a MUCH easier, much CHEAPER way to improve cooling! Just strip-down the standard Aisin fan-clutch and replace its operating fluid with a denser one. The higher-viscosity fluid reduces the slip-ratio of the fan-clutch and makes the fan go faster and cool the radiator more effectively.

These oils are available as automatic-clutch-fluids in viscosities from 10k to 15, 20 and 30k cSt [equivalent to 1, 1.5, 2 and 3 Pa.s silicone-oils]. Apart from Motor Factors, they can be got from Hobby-Shops - where they are used for the differentials in RC-Cars! You can get it cheaply on eebuygum, where it's listed as Differential Oil (30k Weight) [$6.90+$4 P&P for 50mL]. 50mL is about enough to fill the Trooper's Aisin fan-clutch.

If anyone needs a hand, they can PM me for details on the [easy!] strip-down of the fan-clutch.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 17:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Browndoff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

If YOU have some overheating in YOUR Trooper - consider testing the FAN - it may NOT be cooling the Radiator effectively. When the engine is ticking-over but still cold, it should be easy to stop the Fan with a twist of cardboard [don't put your fingers near the moving Fan!!]. When the engine has run up to 'normal' operating temperature, the fan should SHRED any piece of cardboard you put in its way! That's how a Viscous-Fluid Fan-Clutch is supposed to work - it 'connects' the Fan almost solidly to the Water-Pump shaft when the HOT engine needs to be cooled. If it's possible to stop the fan with the piece of cardboard when  the radiator is up to normal temperature - then the Fan-Clutch is NOT WORKING properly.

Don't worry if that's the case - it can be fixed easily and cheaply. the Fan-Clutch can be removed from the car in 10 minutes and then stripped and the old fluid drained-out [overnight - it's awfully gooey!]. Replacement fluid can be purchased on eebuygum [http://www.eebuygum.ie/itm/CORE-RC-Quality-Silicone-Shock-Oil-100-2000cSt-10-120wt-60ml-Bottle-/230892145987?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&var=&hash=item35c23e8d43] very cheaply - as it's used  for differential-drivesin Radio-Controlled cars! My research [through other 4x4 sites] indicates that 30 000 cSt oil is ideal for replacement in the Aisin fan-clutches fitted to Troopers. Reassembly is easy and quick too!

This is VASTLY cheaper [less than £10 delivered!] and easier than installing an electric fan and it restores the operation of the cooling-fan to 'as-new' performance! I've made this change on my '02 Trooper 3.0TD and  it's perfect again!
eithan h

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

your temp gauge still rises, they don't normally so it hasn't worked
DYLAN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good few people put electric fans on because of supposed power gains (6 one half a dozen other?) BUT another good plus for an electric fan is a kill switch can be fitted so when wading in water or deep mud it can be flicked to disable the fans temporarily.  Mine will be having one at some point for that very reason Wink

2002 S-TYPE JAGUAR 3.0 SPORT
Browndoff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eithan           Fair enough - but it doesn't rise AT ALL if I keep below the Motorway speed-limit! That'll do for now! A new radiator can wait!

Dylan            Most people who have felt the need for a better-operating fan - either replace the Aisin fan-clutch with a NEW Aisin fan-clutch [which costs over €200 here] or they opt for the electric [still over €100]. The replacement of the FLUID alone achieves the same result as replacing the whole clutch - for less than €10, delivered!

The 'kill-switch' is, indeed, a benefit but hardly applies to most people.
DYLAN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have fixed your viscous fan and you are still overheating you have a problem and the most common thing without HG problems or similar is a Bu9gered radiator, Replace it and chances are your overheating will go away Wink

DYLAN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen this  Embarassed  Embarassed  Embarassed  Embarassed  Embarassed  Embarassed  Embarassed  Embarassed

http://www.itocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32243&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

Them there boys know 1000x more than me so i needn't have commented. Wink

Just change the rad Wink

ForestBasher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:41    Post subject: Fan clutch fluid replacement Reply with quote

I know it's been a while but any chance you can send a link over to help with changing the fan clutch fluid please?
Having a problem with overheating in standing traffic. Thought I would give this a go.
Much appreciated in advance.
darren m

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

where on the fan is the fluid fill/ empty port , any pics available

99 LWB 3.0 TD Citation

2000 LWB 3.0 / 3.1TD Duty conversion
eithan h

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't one, I think the op stripped it down but it's not designed to be replaced.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: