QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Information on the Bighorn odometer please!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Non-Isuzu technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rezza

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:53    Post subject: Information on the Bighorn odometer please! Reply with quote

Hi guys,

No idea how to title this. Bit of an annoying situation....here it is for anyone who wants a read...

I've just moved to Germany. Me and my girlfriend when on a trip recently, to a friends birthday. We were only in this small town for the night, but when we woke up we were greeted by the side of my Bighorn being completely damaged. Luckily the culprit had hung around waiting for us.
It turns out he was riding his horsedrawn cart around the town when his horse freaked out and decided to run the car up the side of our car (which was also facing the pavement!). He admitted all responsibility and his insurance said they would sort everything out - GOOD! The car was nearly perfect bodywise and runs spot on.

We ended up taking the car to a qualified independent insurance appraiser to see what the situation was. After an hour of checking the car over he said it was a complete write-off with the bill for the repairs costing in the region of 8000 euros plus.
After his appraisal he thinks we would get around 1500 euros from the insurance company. But this is going on the fact that he insists the odometer is reading in miles, which it isn't. Currently it is reading 200,004 KM, which is pretty low for a 1994 car. He is insisting it is reading that in miles. If you do the conversion, that would add a considerable amount of miles/KM to the life of the car, which will result in a significant loss in value (giving his appraisal of 1500euro)
Also effecting the valuation is the fact that everything is on the wrong side. Apparently being a very unique car doesn't go in its favour (id hazard a guess to say its the only Bighorn Irmscher in Germany).
Unfortunately prices in other countries don't factor into the evaluation.

Can anybody provide any kind of proof that the Japanese imports originally recorded in KM? I know the car hasn't been converted to record in miles (just the clock faces to make mph the default speed). I also tested this when I got the car with a GPS tip recorder and compared it to the odometer.

Taking the car back to the UK isn't an option due to cost and the distance.

The most annoying part about this is that we were looking to sell the car in Germany, as much as I completely LOVE it and would love to keep it Sad We know it would have been difficult due to it being diesel and everything being on the wrong side, but now with its current condition it would be impossible to sell.
We live in Hamburg and keeping it isn't a long term option - We would have to register it in Germany, which we could only do after getting a TUV(their version of an MOT), which we could only get after converting various bits and bobs on the car - lights being one of them. Also parking it around Hamburg, where everybody seems to own a car is a nightmare!

Few specs on the car -
1994 3.1 Isuzu Bighorn - Irmscher edition - imported from japan to the UK in 2004
Perfect chassis - No rot
HAD perfect bodywork
Every single electric feature works - It is super high spec with electric everything, heated mirrors and seats, climate control etc etc - Its completely fully loaded.
PERFECT recaro interior in grey
Lovely gunmetal grey colour - not 2 tone
Perfect running condition, no leaks, not loosing oil or coolant.
Only minus would have been that it needed a new rear exhaust section.
It only has 200,004km on the clock - about 124,000 miles

I have to say its the best car I've ever used (had mercs, vws, peugots, rovers, bmws). Super reliable, built like a tank, wants for barely anything (bar the fluid changes). It maybe slow but it just keeps going and going. Will be a shame to see it go...unless someone want to come buy it from Germany Wink - still taxed and MOT'd till the 27th of october.

TLDR: Please can somebody provide me with information to verify that all Japanese imported bighorns record distance in Kilometers so I can shut up this supposed 'insurance expert' that insists mine is reading in miles - when it isn't!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:53    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it not say Kms next to the odometer? Mine does. Both of them.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

rezza

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's where the problem arises. The clock face has been changed to the UK MPH version, so the distance reading doesn't have KM next to it. MPH is in big and KMPH is in small. This is why the guy is insisting the car is showing 200,004 miles.
It has been tested though, and it definitely records in kilometers. Unless it is recording in miles....at the same rate it would record kilometers -_-

Also here's the car before we came to germany...

rezza

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for double post!

But its had one of these put in http://www.eebuygum.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=isuzu+speedo+face&_sacat=0&_odkw=speedometer+converter&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313
rezza

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

And triple... but you can JUST about see the KM on mine.
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would point out the Kms under the needle. If you are really stuck I would take the clocks out and remove the facia Wink

Deceased

Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a fact that all Bighorns are Japanese domestic and the Odometer always reads Km's.

Deceased

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Non-Isuzu technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: