2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

3 litre starting issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 23:53    Post subject: 3 litre starting issues Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I recently bought a 3 litre 1999 Trooper off a fellow member . I knew when I bought it that it had a starting issue but since then it has got worse. So originally it wouldn't start unless you gave it a sniff of easy start then it would run fine. Turn it off and it wouldn't start again without easy start  ( if you search the forums for easy start the previous owners post will come up ). So I bought the car anyway as its in great condition, and only done 65k. Drove the car home about 40 miles and it behaved faultlessly and felt much smoother/tighter than my other trooper. Turned it off, turned the key and it started . Left it for about 30 seconds and after about 5 seconds cranking it started. Over the next week It kept starting with a maximum crank time of about 8 to 10 seconds so I thought I would take it to work ( 40 mile round trip ) and see if the oil level was rising.  After two days of no increase in oil level on the way to work I stopped and put fuel in . Tried to start the car and it wouldn't start so had to resort to easy start. It started fine but now it won't tick over below 2000 revs. So that's where I am . Going to start working my way through the usuals, I have a complete running car with a head gasket issue for parts, but I was just wondering what anyone else thinks  unless there is anyone local to Worcester with tech2. Many thanks in advance
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 23:53    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

eithan h

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

orps issue or strainer issue or fuel issue, do you know what has been tried so far?
buz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ethan, it had a new ORPS about 4 years ago which means nothing now. Rob the previous owner did extra oil, white wire, pump and bleed fuel and I think the ROPCV but can't be sure. When I originally bought it I thought it would be a fuel or oil pressure issue as cranking / starting time increases with the time left after turning off. I don't think I'm losing diesel out of the head as no rise in oil level and priming has no affect. The only thing I have done since I have had it is to change the oil to make sure of correct grade. I think it's a coincidence that it wouldn't start after filling with diesel but going to drain off some fuel out the tank to check for water regardless. As a start I'm going to check the strainer issue as the engine oil pressure gauge seems quite low when warm. Does the White wire always override the ORPS. I'm a little confused over the fact that it won't idle now. Many thanks in advance
buz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had half an hour on the trooper today. Did the White wire and no change. Only difference was check engine light was on whilst cranking ( is that normal with White wire out )Engine oil pressure rises to 85 when cranking, oil and battery light go out. Pumped diesel primer and opened bleed screw, a very very small amount of air came out but I would say it was negligible. Going to have a look at pick up pipes and ROPCV next I think. Can I tell if the injectors are working/ activated ( can't think of correct word) if I take the rocker cover off and crank it over ?
eithan h

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes thats normal, if the orps is ok then generally they won't start with the white wire out,  and if you overfill past the max level with 2 litres of oil this will cover the strainer pick up and o ring so if it starts better like this then you know you have a strainer issue, it also saves taking all the sump off for no reason.

starting to see a few now that need a new hpop due to oil leaking back somewhere through the pump resulting in start times of 10 secs or so now so could be that as well
buz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would I be best swapping the Hpop and ROPCV complete as I have one that I know works. I hear that you hold the record.  It will probably take me 22 minutes to get the latex on ( gloves !! ). Bloody fat fingers
eithan h

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you know it's good then i would just to eliminate it
buz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do. Many thanks for your help.
buz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update. I have added the extra 2 litres of oil to eliminate the strainer issue. Still won't start. Did notice another abnormality in that when cranking over with low batteries the anti theft lift flashed. Didn't when cranking over with jump leads. Going to swap out ropcv now but going to get the other trooper started first to make sure it's ok. Hpop on my other trooper has much more mileage (170,000) whereas this one has only done 65,000. I know how to test the ROPCV mechanically but am I right that in thinking that on starting , I will only get voltage to the solenoid after approximately 10 sec of cranking ?
Gribble

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

No there will be miliamps present at the coil when the keys at ign on as it's the ropcv that stops the engine by going to  0% and at starting about 28 -30%.
For the engine to start you need to have fuel under pressure in the head,injection oil pressure of at least 1.6 Mpa and crank and cam readings.
buz

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a very late follow up on this ( only 16 months later !!!! ). I finally got round to having a look at the trooper and found that both bolts holding an injector to the rail were loose so was an easy fix in the end , thanks for the help and advice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: