All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

3.1 power

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slim1122

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 19:13    Post subject: 3.1 power Reply with quote

So just like everyone else I'm on the quest for more power. What I would like to know is the safe limits of the engine and box? Got to be honest when I first drove  my truck I was surprised with the amount it already had as std. Anyway so far my plans are pump tweak and possibly 300tdi boost pin or make a custom pin if the landy one won't fit and turbo  boost controller so need to know  the max boost you can run? And I might look into lpg injection.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 19:13    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

300 tdi boost pin won't fit. Don't tweak the turbo .. they are long in the tooth these days and not the strongest of units in the first place. Pump can be tweaked for good gains at a loss of economy.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

slim1122

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhanagar wrote:
300 tdi boost pin won't fit. Don't tweak the turbo .. they are long in the tooth these days and not the strongest of units in the first place. Pump can be tweaked for good gains at a loss of economy.

Not worried about fuel consumption it's not my daily drive. As for the turbo ive already inspected it and seems to be in very good condition for the mileage and I have a large selection of Garrett and holsets in my workshop that I'm sure I could make to fit I would just have to fit an external waste gate.
Retro Pedro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't there a suggestion a few moons back to fettle with a bigger 3.0 turbo which entailed swapping over with the 3.1 manifold connections to give it more umph.
Hope Mr G (Gribble) and Ted (Red Robbo) don't mind me mentioning but I believe Mr G had a thread running with a fuel pump pin swap/mod with Ted trialing it on his motor. Think about 6-9 months back.
slim1122

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retro Pedro wrote:
Wasn't there a suggestion a few moons back to fettle with a bigger 3.0 turbo which entailed swapping over with the 3.1 manifold connections to give it more umph.
Hope Mr G (Gribble) and Ted (Red Robbo) don't mind me mentioning but I believe Mr G had a thread running with a fuel pump pin swap/mod with Ted trialing it on his motor. Think about 6-9 months back.

Yeah I seen that post from what I remember when reading one said yes the pin worked an the other said it ddint????
And if I go down the root swapping the trubo it will be for something a bit better than a 3.0 one. go big or go home I reckon lol
Retro Pedro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

slim1122 wrote:
And if I go down the root swapping the trubo it will be for something a bit better than a 3.0 one. go big or go home I reckon lol

Reading with interest Wink
Gribble

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update. If you do the same tweaks to the 3.1 fuel pump that I do the the 200tdi landy ones you will get a better drive.

So thats turn the pin  on the little diaphragm round so the slope is flat on to the small pin that comes through from the linkage ,this gets you a lower boost start point -  then go 6-8 clicks clockwise round on the star wheel and try it . You can also wind the max fuel screw out by 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn too but there will be some smoke .

The Timber Trail pin don't fit the stock 3.1  Crying or Very sad

As for turbos there is a surge valve (dump valve) in the 3.1 inlet manifold set at about 18 psi which is above the waste gate setting on the turbo so a bit more boost could be had if you can find it .

IHI turbo maps are rare but a big FMIC will help if you pull trailers or just go straight to the turbo if its off roading you do .

You would see a big increase in performance with a Ball bearing Garret or a Holset like a HX25W on the stock set up , I'm no expert on the subject but my own trials have shown that the better turbos that move more air sooner make for a better power curve.

I'm not going with some off road guys thoughts on VNT style turbos as yes the lower torque figures do look good but spinning all four locked wheels fast  will get you through and that  takes quick climbing rpms and hp's
slim1122

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gribble wrote:
Update. If you do the same tweaks to the 3.1 fuel pump that I do the the 200tdi landy ones you will get a better drive.

So thats turn the pin  on the little diaphragm round so the slope is flat on to the small pin that comes through from the linkage ,this gets you a lower boost start point -  then go 6-8 clicks clockwise round on the star wheel and try it . You can also wind the max fuel screw out by 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn too but there will be some smoke .

The Timber Trail pin don't fit the stock 3.1  Crying or Very sad

As for turbos there is a surge valve (dump valve) in the 3.1 inlet manifold set at about 18 psi which is above the waste gate setting on the turbo so a bit more boost could be had if you can find it .

IHI turbo maps are rare but a big FMIC will help if you pull trailers or just go straight to the turbo if its off roading you do .

You would see a big increase in performance with a Ball bearing Garret or a Holset like a HX25W on the stock set up , I'm no expert on the subject but my own trials have shown that the better turbos that move more air sooner make for a better power curve.

I'm not going with some off road guys thoughts on VNT style turbos as yes the lower torque figures do look good but spinning all four locked wheels fast  will get you through and that  takes quick climbing rpms and hp's

Thanks for the info. One thing I definitely won't be doing is fitting a vnt turbo if I felt I needed  low rpm boost I'd rather put in the extra work and run a bi turbo set up but I'm not getting that deep into it lol. 18 psi isn't bad I was hoping for around 21psi  but I guess that'll do. My egt set uparrived yesterday so as soon as I get that fitted I'll start playing with the pump.  Shame the  landy pin won't fit , I'll just give it a lil turn for now and take some measurements while it's out and maybe knock up a custom one.
Dellbert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about lpg injection ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: