All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Starter Motor?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilbyhilbly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:48    Post subject: Starter Motor? Reply with quote

Turned the key this morning, ignition on as normal but the starter did not respond at all, all the dash lights were on as normal but when I turn the key to start I was expecting the lights to dim a bit, but they never wavered, could this mean an electrical problem with the starter motor or wiring, or could it be jammed.

Any advice truly appreciated.

Just to make it clear, I don't even know where to look for the starter, sorry.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:48    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

wilbyhilbly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 17:57    Post subject: Starter Motor? Reply with quote

Right, so I have managed to get it to our little local garage who had a look and said a wire was off the starter and hanging down, he reckons he could not find where to put it back without putting it on his ramp which is not available at the moment, plus he says he will have to take half of the bits on the side of the engine off to be able to get to it as there is no room.

I'm supposed to wait until he calls me to say the ramp is free which could be up to three or four days, so, I thought that now I know where the problem is I might have a go to see if I can get it back on. Apparently it has a spade connector on the end of it so all I need to know now is whereabouts on the starter motor is it supposed to go, and is it accessible without stripping half the bits off the engine block.

Can someone please advise.

Thanks.
eithan h

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

what engine?
wilbyhilbly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 18:44    Post subject: Starter Motor? Reply with quote

Sorry, 3.1 Trooper 2001
TrooperDan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiring for starter is easy to get to from the top. try hitting the starter (long stick and hammer) while someone holds ignition on start.
wilbyhilbly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:14    Post subject: Starter Motor? Reply with quote

Thanks Dan, but apparently a wire is off and hanging loose, has a spade connector on the end, just need to find where the terminal is to put it back on. Will banging it make any difference? Laughing  Laughing
TrooperDan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

on top of starter is the solenoid. on will be the spade connector. accessed from top. There is a chance he has seen an unused spade connector nr the starter so banging it could, if wires are all on, jolt it into life. you can see the wiring quite well through the wheel arch too
wilbyhilbly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:00    Post subject: Starter Motor? Reply with quote

I can see the wire he is talking about which has a black oblong block on the end which has a slit in the end of it obviously to fit on a spade, but whether it is a spare or not I don't know.

The trouble is, I can't seem to even see the starter, if I could I'd certainly like to try and hit it, is the selenoid a round thing sitting on top of the starter hiding it? if so I'll try banging that.
TrooperDan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds like the starter connection.
wilbyhilbly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:56    Post subject: Starter Motor? Reply with quote

Thanks Dan.
wilbyhilbly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:40    Post subject: Starter Motor? Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me where the lug is on the starter to connect the wire back on. Also, is it possible to remove the panels on the inside of the wheel arch to be able to see (and maybe connect) the wire back on.

Thanks. Rolling Eyes
TrooperDan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the very top but you prob dont have the screw just the spade connector

youll be able to feel it better than seeing it
wilbyhilbly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 15:05    Post subject: Starter Motor? Reply with quote

Thanks Dan, do you think I could get to it via wheel arch if the panel is removable.
TrooperDan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

only the rubbery bit is removeable
wilbyhilbly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 16:15    Post subject: Starter Motor? Reply with quote

OK thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: