All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

3.0TD MASSIVE Coolant leak at top rear of engine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yettitracker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 17:19    Post subject: 3.0TD MASSIVE Coolant leak at top rear of engine. Reply with quote

Ran up the motorway yesterday and red check engine light came on as well as the temp gauge hitting the top stop. Checked and no water. After re-filling, a massive amount of water is coming from the rear top of the engine. The water cascades down the outside front of the gearbox bell housing. Initial thoughts were core plug, then on closer inspection possible a pipe, but still not sure as it's not possible to get in and have a proper look.

The water flows out when not running and no radiator cap on, so no pressure. When engine runs, it gushes.

Any ideas....?????
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 17:19    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

eithan h

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

what year is it?
yettitracker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Date of first registration 24/01/2002. On a 51 plate. It has subtle differences from our other a 2000 on a W plate.

Another oddity is the oil pressure control valve on the oil pump - 24mm. Keeps getting clogged or just worn. Clean it and oil pressure is ok again for a while. then pressure shows low or fails to rise when started from cold. 128000 miles so could it be worn or something in the oil system.
eithan h

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a coolant pipe round the back of the head that goes from inlet manifold to egr cooler that can split.
Are you removing the pressure relief valves by the main oil filter? Or the oil pressure control valve on the hpop? Oil pressure issues are normally a cracked strainer or pressure sensor playing up making the gauge and ligh do funny things.
yettitracker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the pipe. From what I can see, which is very little, I would guess a split in the pipe of around 1 to 2 inch. Does this make sense.
The oil valve: There are two on the oil pump, one 24mm head the other 22mm head. One is a spring and ball bearing, the other a spring loaded valve. After cleaning the spring loaded valve, 24mm the oil pressure returns to normal for a while. This motor claimed that it had a good service history when I bought it, but the state of the oil and age of the oil filters clearly showed that the oil and filters had not been done for quite a while. After several oil changes the problem seems to be same, so the ultimate question on the oil pressure problem, is it *beep* in the system now working loose or is it a worn valve. Any idea how much a new one is and/or the part number.
eithan h

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new strainer used to be about £70 might be worth just popping the sump off and checking the gauze is not blocked
yettitracker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this one because the idiots who looked at the wifes, used instant gasket instead of replacing the 2 £3 O rings, causing the oil lube to fail and blowing a turbo. Hence sumps were dropped, new O rings on ALL 3 Troopers, strainers checked and cleaned and no problems, except mine. This has been an ongoing issue. The valve 24mm gets cleaned then ok for a while.
My gut feeling is that the turbo is on it's way out and allowing a small amount of carbon back into the system. Once I get a new Turbo cartridge as the other 2 have had, about £120 from Saudi, a complete oil change and blow out with an air line and see if that works.
Other than that, I can only assume that the valve is faulty and staying fully open and not allowing the oil to build pressure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: