Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

1998 3.0 trooper is it a good buy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Other Trooper queries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnym

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 0:22    Post subject: 1998 3.0 trooper is it a good buy? Reply with quote

Hello all.

Im on the brink of buying a 3.0 1998 trooper lwb 110000miles, fsh from dealership, 12 months mot.  It looks like it was used for towing alot as it has a big grease filled anti shock tow bar   It was an insurance right off as it has lost a rear corner bumper, madness!

I'm reading alot of horror stories about the engine.  Am I insane even looking at it?  

What should I look out for?  Im assuming that the recall stuff has been done as it was always serviced at the dealership?

Thanks for any help

Jon
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 0:22    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jonnym

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone could help I really would appreciate it, I have to decide today or tommorrow morning at the latest and really don't want to make a massive mistake!

Thanks
Jon
Cam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not a lot to say really, the usual checks that would be done on any car, take it to a gravel carpark if you can and make sure the 4wd is working properly, no oil leaks, check for signs of Diesel or oil in the expansion bottle, check for coolant and Diesel on the Dipstick, if you can look above the fuel tank for damp patches (leaking fuel pipes) shouldn't take any more than approx.5 seconds to start, is it smoky on start up, does it stutter when driving? the list is endless IF its had all of its recalls done it "should" be a good work horse, but just like any other car/truck on the market there are good ones and bad ones, you never know what's around the corner regardless of service history, I've got a 3.0 and I've had a few issues but wouldn't get rid of it, there's very few things that can't be fixed DIY if your handy with Spanners, plus all the info is available here along with folk that would be willing to help out.

Hope this is of some help
Cam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how you get on, whether you buy or not  Wink
jonnym

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.   Im trying to find if any of the recall stuff has been done on it with the local dealer as IM couldn't help.   I fairly good with spanners (ive also got a mark 1 disco so I have to be!) but short on time and funds.    

It started well although the batteries sounded like they were struggling abit as it had been parked up fot a couple of weeks.  No  smoke or squeaks I need to check the oil and water for issues.

If I do buy it I'm sure  will be on here alot so will keep in touch.

Thanks again jon
jonnym

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I only went and bought it.  Heres my introduction http://www.itocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=282517#282517

If it all goes wrong you have alot top answer for Cam Wink

Thanks again for the help

Jonnym
02Trooper777

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW - Your introduction has disappeared by now.

What problems have you encountered - and solved ?
jonnym

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Well I love it.  You get in, it starts and you get the feeling it will always get you home.  Power steering box replacement was a *beep*(female dog) to do, its had a new clutch which was expensive as all cars are, and the interior lights and horn seem to have developed a fault.

We use it for long journeys like holidays over our Alfa 159, its more comfortable in the back , doesn't make the wife car sick and you can obviously see more.  Its alot more tiring to drive and on the motorway, the cabin noise is wearing and in comparison it is alot more agricultural.  Its also great when driving in London as it makes the šickheads think twice.

It gets abused and treated hard which it laps up an keeps going.  I think if/when the injectors go I will ship it in but until then, I love it and can't fault it.

For the money they are great vehicles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Other Trooper queries All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: