All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

4WD Question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gripjim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 18:22    Post subject: 4WD Question. Reply with quote

Hi , Im new to Isuzu's having been a Land Cruiser owner, but the chassis rusted out! I have a 2001 SWB trooper , 3 weeks, thats had a 3.1 engine transplanted My question is I'm not sure the 4wd is working , the 4wd light is on permanantly , I assume this was a result of the engine swap , but i'm not bothered about this as long as it works. I've been in some mud & the rear wheels span, but pushing the button did not apparrently engage. Jacked up the rear & put into 4wd & it pulled away 1 out of 3 times. all hoses seem alright but axle positioner swich on actuator is buggered , but i understand this is only for the dash light? Jacked up the front after reading posts on here , & after pressind 4wd button rotate one wheel & the opposite rotates in opposite direction ? is this normal? Should i get a new axle position swich / Thanks Jim.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 18:22    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would replace the front switch for a known good one .. remember to use the copper washer .. it is an important spacer.

Once you have done that do your checks again.

http://www.independentisuzu.co.uk/contact-us.html

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

gripjim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rhanagar I'll have a look on eebuygum. does the fact the wheels rotate in opposite directions mean its engaged? i would have thought they'd rotate the same way.
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the 4wd is engaged and the front wheels turn opposite directions means the front actuator is doing its thing. If the actuator wasn't engaging then the other wheel wouldn't turn at all as the nearside axle would be disengaged.

Troopers/Bighorns have open diffs at the front which means they turn opposite when one is spun. LSD diffs (On some trucks denoted by the G80 code on the VIN plate in the engine bay bulkhead) would make the wheels spin the same direction.

Deceased

gripjim

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well still got the problem i'm afraid! At the weekend I tried to pull aheavy trailer on a muddy field , & after pressing the 4wd dash button , the rear wheels , or wheel I should say, still spun , with nothing at the front. Ive just tried jacking a rear wheel off the ground , obviously no drive in 2wd, pressed the button which should activate the front - nothing! With the engine off & pressing the button I can hear a definate wirr sound followed by a click , the same when going back to normal position. Can anyone help ? I know its difficult when you cant see it but suggestions welcome!
eithan h

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it still the 3.0l gearbox?
gripjim

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, dont know.
gripjim

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plan now is to take the actuator right off the axle 7 see if the fork moves with the switch. If it dos'nt then ,i,ll try the gearbox solenoid thing on the right side of the transfer box?
gripjim

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fork dosnt move with pressing button , but the housing was dry of oil so filled it to the filler plug on back of the housing. there's a definite wirr 7 click from the gearbox seemingly every time the button pressed but nothing at the front actuator, oh 7 have replaced the solenoids with others off eebuygum, but how to know if they're any good?!
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the pipes off the front actuator. Vacuum drivers side for 2wd. Vacuum passenger side for 4wd.

Deceased

gripjim

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now working thanks to some expert advise! . Have put a bolt in the actuator locking it in 4w but driving normally in 2w, the button when pressed activates the transfer box into 4w. It appears there are bits missing which were taken out when whoever did the egr , thats not there either two plates blanking the hoes on manifold
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: