2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Trooper 3.0 drive problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeNI

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 13:42    Post subject: Trooper 3.0 drive problem Reply with quote

Hi once again helpful folks.
My latest problem with my 99 3.0 Duty is an almost complete lack of drive resulting in me having to get it home on a recovery truck yesterday.
It's been driving great, I pulled in to a petrol station and when I came out and tried to pull away I had virtually no drive. Literally just enough to crawl 100 yards to a car park. It's a manual box, the engine is revving fine, clutch pedal feels fine, no fault codes on dash. Tried 4 wheel drive in low and high, and reverse, symptoms all the same. Select gear, release the clutch, car attempts to pull away then shows huge resistance as if the handbrake is on. But the car rolled nice and freely on and off the transporter.
As usual, any ideas will be gratefully received.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 13:42    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

MikeNI

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

...just had another look at the Trooper and its whining down like a jet engine when I switch the engine off. DMF failure I'm guessing.
That'll be another £400 and another weekend of grazed knuckles to throw at the £400 Trooper?
eithan h

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep does sound like it
MikeNI

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks eithan. What's the best and cheapest way to deal with this then? Engine out or gearbox out?
And what's the cheapest way forward assuming I tackle this myself?
A colleague has suggesting welding the DMF solid
eithan h

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

gearbox out but if your doing it on the drive take the transfer box off first to make it lighter as it is a fair old weight, to weld it solid you need to fit some 6mm bar in to the gap between the two halves so it sits flat and then you will need to change the friction plate to a 3.1 plate so it has the springs to take out any judder as you release the clutch pedal which would of ben the job of the dmf.
i'm not a big fan of the solid conversion i've seen too many break again so i'd say fit a new dmf and then forget about it,

you could take a chance on a second hand flywheel but it could go the next day and remember they are timed to the engine so don't fit it wrong or it won't start!
MikeNI

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have the cash available to buy a new dmf, and see that Independant Isuzu have one for 395 which appears to come with a new clutch friction plate? So could anyone give me any more info on independent Isuzu so I can get one ordered, or any better or similar deals?
eithan h

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats one they bolt up solid and supply a 3.1 friction plate, personally for peace of mind i'd go for a proper dual mass but it's up to you
MikeNI

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up eithan. Brand new original type dmf is what I want. Milners the best deal then?
eithan h

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are about £10 cheaper than a dealer i find so yeah
MikeNI

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update and more problems.
limited funds and lots of options sent me up the route of very good second-hand dmf and 3 piece clutch components and throwing money to the local garage to fit it for me.
The Trooper is driving sweet again but now very Smokey and rough at low rpm on cold start up which she never was before, but clears when warm. In fact she wasn't even like that when I started her up to load onto the transporter that took her to the garage. Could they have done something wrong when changing the flywheel or something not quite right with the secondhand flywheel trigger?
I have a tech 2 so can check for problems if I know what to look for. No check engine light coming up on dash.
eithan h

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fact it starts means it's in the right place so unless they bent a tooth on the timing ring but that gives a misfire constantly as it has 2 tdc points then. could be air in the fuel might be worth putting some clear pipe on the fuel return and checking for air bubbles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: