QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Intermittent starting issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadDogDean

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:43    Post subject: Intermittent starting issue Reply with quote

Hello all,
I scanned through a few postings dealing with starting issue, but nothing really hit home. Maybe someone has had a similar experience...

We've a 1995 3.0 diesel turbo Bighorn (Japan import/conversion). The troubles started about 2 weeks ago, prior to that starting was easy - turn the key and away we go.

About 2 weeks ago, it started with a slow start, as in slow turning over. But eventually it started. Drove it all day, running a/c, lights, etc. The next morning flat as a pancake, no indication of life when you turn the key. Plopped tha battery charger on (as the battery now read just over 10v (so it seemed driving all day the day before charged nothing. Left it on the charger overnight, next morning started fine.

A few days later, no start again, same routine, boosting, starting, tada. However paying attention to the voltmeter it wasn't always charging - sometimes the needle sat just over 12, often it hovered around 9/20.

Arranged with the mechanic to drop it off next week to check it out (we live in a small town and it's a 3 hr drive to get to the mechanic). This morning, truck started fine, drove 10kms. This afternoon, no action.

I can hear the relay (the three together beside the fuse box in the engine bay) clicking when I turn the key, but nothing from the starter. What do smarter minds than mine think? Maybe the started solenoid? Should I try jumping the solenoid to see if it works?

This intermittent nature of the problem really baffles me. Also the fact that it seems to run the battery down. Can this be a result of a shorting in the solenoid/starter? Or is it more indicative of a alternator issue?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Dean
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

eithan h

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

id say alternator, try disconnecting it then seeing what it starts like the next day, if theres plenty of power to turn it over when you know it would of been flat then i'd change the alt.
MadDogDean

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, the mechanic figured it is the alt as well.

But (and there's always a but...) can this explain why I can't even get the thing started today on a full charged battery?

Cheers
MadDogDean

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so here's the update. Messed around trying to figure what's what, but no luck in starting.

Funny though, I can hear the relay clicking when I try to start it, but there is no action at the starter/solenoid. Even when hoked up to a multimeter there is no 12v on either post of the solenoid when I try to start. Lots of power on the battery though, lights don't dim a speck when I try to start it so I can tell it's not a short, there's just no power getting to the starter.

Maybe it is one of the relays - I assume it is one of the three banked together just behind the fuse box in the engine bay RH side? Does anyone know which is which? From the front to the back which relays are which.

The trouble with this engine is that the last guy that owned it had some power steering issues (repaired - I think it was a split hose) and there is oil coating everything. Nothing leaks anymore and no oil is low, so everytime I trace a wire I come up looking like the grease monster!

Thanks for any other thoughts or advice.

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: