4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

battery charge light and 4x4 light randomly illuminating

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3.2Monty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:16    Post subject: battery charge light and 4x4 light randomly illuminating Reply with quote

Hi everyone, now and again the battery charge light and 4x4 light randomly illuminate together on the dashboard. When this fault occurs it doesn't actually go into four wheel drive and the 4x4 shift lever is all the way back in 2H where it should be and the volt gauge on the dash is saying 13V where it should be so the alternator is charging the battery all o.k.

Also I have replaced the alternator, belt and battery last year. has anyone had the same problem? If so what resolved it. The fault seems to go after a minute or so.

Regards David
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the belt isn't loose.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

wilbyhilbly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:11    Post subject: battery charge and 4x4 light Reply with quote

I have the same problem, battery light and 4x4 light came on and are now on every time I start, they don't go off even at high revs,   I noticed the voltage meter has dropped to about 5 where it normally runs at 12/13volts.

Does this mean I need a new alternator? any advice gratefully received, Thank you.
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is a 3.1TD then I can almost guarantee the belt is loose. They often slip without noise. Also there isn't much adjustment left with the listed belts after they start to stretch. I would arm yourself with a new belt in case tightening it doesn't resolve the issue. When you go to adjust it double check you aren't just bending the adjuster bracket when you reach the end of adjustment.

Deceased

wilbyhilbly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I'll try that.
wilbyhilbly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. after trying everything suggested I finally had to take it to the local garage who says it it definitely the alternator. so a new one is required.

What they want to know is if it is a 70amp or 90amp. can anyone help please as I haven't got any idea where to look to find out.
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2.8TD had a 50 amp .. the 3.1TD had an 80 amp. Both will fit. Both have a vacuum pump on the back.

The 3.0TD had a 90 amp, but won't fit either the 2.8TD or 3.1TD. Also it doesn't have a vacuum pump on the back.

The 3.2 V6 (petrol) had a 75 amp. That won't fit any of the above. Also it doesn't have a vacuum pump on the back.

Deceased

Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expect to pay around £100 for a new (remanufactured) one.

Replacement is about an hour, two at the most. Easiest to remove the A/C pump (leave hoses attached) and rest it on the battery tray. You can get to the alternator then from above.

Deceased

wilbyhilbly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the info
3.2Monty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 14:16    Post subject: intermittent battery and 4x4 light illuminating Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I've still got the intermittent battery and 4x4 light illuminating every now and again. Bizarrely and possibly coincidentally, it seems to come on when braking hard and then changing direction, e.g braking at the bottom of the drive and then reversing up the drive, possibly a loose connection somewhere?

Also I tensioned the belt as I have always done on my cars, just with the usual 1/2inch slack on the longest run of the belt, does anyone know if this should be tighter on a 3.2 v6 Trooper/Monterey. I'm always a bit cautions with over tightening belts because I don't want to knock out the bearings of the alternator, fan unit e.t.c.

Many thanks for your help

David
3.2Monty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:48    Post subject: alternator and four wheel drive light illuminating again Reply with quote

A year later and the intermittent illumination of the alternator light and the four wheel drive light has started coming on again intermittently. The fan belt seems tight enough, it had a new alternator fitted a couple of years ago which made no difference and when the lights are illuminated the alternator is still putting out 12/13 volts as usual.

I still think it seems to come on with breaking or swaying of the vehicle and then it goes off all of a sudden. Also I noticed yesterday the brightness of the illuminations started to fade to very faint as I was going down a steep hill and so was totally off the throttle, yet if I then apply the throttle the illuminations become brighter.

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks
moonoroof

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar fault very recently on a 3.0 LWB Trooper.
I'd have a look at the 4WD switches/sensors on the front axle. examine closely for a broken wire or corrosion on the connections. In my case it was 2 broken wires.
It's stange, but that fault will make the battery light flicker.
Michael Smile
eithan h

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

there was a service sheet for the wiring for the alternator specifically i think the blue and white wire that goes to the plug, might pay to give it a wiggle and see if it brings the light on
MadDogDean

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old resurrected thread that is right on time for me too!!

Just started having problems a week or so ago. Belt is tight - already checked.
When I start the truck, the three dash lights & 4x4 come on and will STAY on as long as it's idling. Power comes on as soon as I
a: Rev to above 2000 for a few seconds or
b: start driving off the carport and up the driveway, the first few bumps wakes it up!

If I am running around town and the engine is hot, the lights come on (and of course the AC goes OFF - which is a killer in the 30° Philippines heat). And them just as randomly the power will come on again.

But today it is different, if I am driving with the engine between 1500 - 2500 rpm, the power starts to surge. The power needle starts swaying like a metronome & I can even hear the ac fan (inside the truck) change from slow to fast to slow to fast - it's not an issue with the fan switch, it is definitely a power issue.

Getting an alternator here in the Philippines is like finding han's teeth, probably need to get one from UK or Aus. I am not opposed to replacing it, I just hate to wait for 3 weeks and it's not the issue.

On a side note, I thought maybe it was the Blue charging relay and the Isuzu dealer happened to have a *very dusty* NOS relay for 30USD. But when I pulled the blue replay in the fuse box it has a black base but the black relay has a blue base... I think something got reversed here at some point. Oh well, problem #273 added to the list Smile

If any of the Bighorn/Trooper gurus has any other advice I am all ears.

Cheers,
Dean
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: