4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

4WD will not engage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevo912000

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 20:26    Post subject: 4WD will not engage Reply with quote

hi guys,

ive been trawling through the forum for the last 2 days and am pulling my hair out. i have a 96 bighorn 3.1 diesel. The 4WD will not engage. When i turn on the ignition the 4wd indicator light on the dash lights up and when i start it up the light goes out as normal. when i try and engage the 4wd and move it to either 4H or 4L the light does not come on or blink or anything. after reading through the posts i was thinking there was problem with the vacuum but i checked that out today and the vacuum is fine. i replaced all the vacuum lines to be sure there was no leaks also. could anyone point me in the right direction as to what to try next.

thanks

kevin
95 3.1 bighorn SWB field star
96 3.1 bighorn LWB Plaisir
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 20:26    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Gribble

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there not  the Worlds Best Sticky post on how to do this at the top of this section   Confused
kevo912000

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, except mine does not have a push button just lever operated so is there much of a difference. i changed the switch on the front chassis as it failed the continuity test, repaired some wires that had seen better days and still no luck. Im starting to wonder is there enough vacuum comig hrough the pipe, the vacuum is there but not entirely strong?

another question i have is where is the 4wd ecu located?

thanks

kevin
95 3.1 bighorn SWB field star
96 3.1 bighorn LWB Plaisir
d12
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check the wiring under the gear stick there is a switch there on the gear box which acts up , take out gear stick gator and have a look
Gribble

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swap the pipes over on the sotf  actuator and see if you get a clonk as the collar moves over . Then see if you can turn the front prop by hand when the fwd is supposed to be in ,that will tell you where the fault is .
Browndoff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if all the rubber-hoses SEEM to be in the right place - there could STILL be a fault! I messed with mine for AGES before realizing that the previous owner had put in the one-way valve in THE WRONG DIRECTION! Of course, that meant no vacuum to the axle solenoid-valves - so nothing worked! Likewise, one cracked, perished or otherwise LEAKY hose will do the same thing - let in AIR to the wrong place and eliminate the pressure-difference on which the system works.

This pic might help you check out your system.[img][/img]
baronvontreffyes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad i found this will have a look at mine cheers guys
d12
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder did Kevin get sorted !!!!
baronvontreffyes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

well this is a good thread so hopefully did
baronvontreffyes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

well weather and work allowed me to look at my none working 4x4 bighorn,turned out to be wiring fault on box,so re routed cables into cab and onto a rocker switch on dash.so much nicer i think great to have working 4x4,all inspired by this group great stuff  Very Happy  Very Happy
Mikezcartlidge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 13:09    Post subject: Cable fault Reply with quote

baronvontreffyes wrote:
well weather and work allowed me to look at my none working 4x4 bighorn,turned out to be wiring fault on box,so re routed cables into cab and onto a rocker switch on dash.so much nicer i think great to have working 4x4,all inspired by this group great stuff  Very Happy  Very Happy

so, what was the fault you found, I’ve got the same issue with the same truck. Also can you confirm the correct way to select four wheel drive.
Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: