Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

3.1 difficult to start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ogri the trog

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 21:40    Post subject: 3.1 difficult to start Reply with quote

This is my third Trooper, the others have been one nail and one that would not die! I don't want another nail!

Only had the latest one delivered yesterday and this morning it nearly killed the battery with several minutes of cranking before it fired up and this evening when leaving work I had to flag someone else down to get a "jump" as it did kill the batteries.

Dealer said that he'd replaced the tank as it was pulling in air (though I don't know yet if he used a new or second-hand item).

One thing that does concern me is the lack of a primer/filter unit that has been replaced with an in-line filter.

I've convinced myself that fuel is draining back into the tank and taking a age to get up to the engine when I try to start it.

I have ordered an after-market primer/filter assembly but is there anything else that I could try over the next few days?

Thanks in advance

Pete
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 21:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

JungleC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a similar problem, turned out to be a battery with a bad cell. It was turning over the ending but just not enough umph to start
Ogri the trog

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dealer claimed to have fitted new batteries a while ago, though they don't look to be that "new" to me - I'll try it with some other batteries to see if that helps - Cheers JC.

Had the batteries on charge for 24 hours yesterday and it still took a lot to start it - noticed a strong smell of fuel just before it fired up, though I can see any leaks around engine or tank - it may be being pumped through the engine as I am cranking it over.

ATB

Pete
Retro Pedro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you done the bypass tank by running from a small cannister of diesel test?
Also are the batteries equal in power output etc.?
Ogri the trog

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are on the list of things to try RP!

Though I'm not looking forward to re-priming the fuel system after doing it if it proves to be something else.

Pete
gt-nick
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,  OTT did you manage to resolve the starting issue?
Ogri the trog

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet mate!

Life has been getting in the way, but with a few days off this weekend, I'll try to get something done.

If I do get a solid answer, I'll be sure to let you all know!

ATB

Pete
Ogri the trog

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I fitted a replacement primer filter unit this morning, pumped it about 20 strokes before I felt resistance, then several more for good measure. Batteries are same output and similar age - but no improvement in starting ability.

I regularly get several false starts - just a click rather than immediate cranking of the engine. I wait for the glow-plug indicator light to go out then count another 10 to 20 seconds before trying - so it can get frustrating.

If the starter motor is clicking (indicating potential failure) will it be spinning fast enough when it does kick in?

I am preparing to have the starter motor changed, but is that likely to be an end to it all?

Any ideas welcome

Pete
Ogri the trog

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

So for anyone that remains mildly interested.

Booked it into a local garage over the past few days - one of the "new" batteries was faulty and the 50A glow plug fuse had blown.

There are some other issues to address, but at least it starts now.

ATB

Pete
gt-nick
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad you got a result, its good to know you sorted it   Smile

nick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: