All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

1995 3.1TD Bighorn - leaky power steering pipe at gear box

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadDogDean

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:55    Post subject: 1995 3.1TD Bighorn - leaky power steering pipe at gear box Reply with quote

Hello all,

Hopefully someone has been in my shoes (well not really as I wouldn't wish it upon anyone, but you get the idea...)

Recently I replaced the power steering hose from the pump to the gearbox. The new hose was a little tight and stiff and I wonder if this is the result of cause & effect. I can see power steering fluid leaking between the pipe and the nut, right where it attaches ot the gearbox.

I pulled the pipe out and realized this part had been through a rough life already. I wound off reams and reams of teflon tape (why use this on the nut is beyond me, but not all mechanics are MECHANICS!)

There were two o-rings on the end of the pipe, both looking worse for wear. I found the closest replacement I could find - not sure what size it should have been, I found a 9mm ID/11mm OD o-ring, reinstalled and tightened everything and still leaks like a sieve. Pulled it apart and tried 2 o-rings (thinking maybe the pipe/fitting was buggered), but still no luck - still leaks like a sieve.

Anyone know what size the o-ring should be? Any other suggestions/advice?

I'm a Canadian over here volunteering and helping in the Philippines for a while. The truck is a JDM (Japan truck) RHD converted to LHD here in the Philippines - the truck was imported and converted around 2000 - long before we bought it.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Dean
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

MadDogDean

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I pulled the pipe from the gearbox, the fitting looks a little dodgy. Does anyone have a photo of what the end of the power steering pipe (the side going into the gearbox) should look like?

I have discovered that relying on local mechanics in the Philippines is also a little dodgy. I found a seal the other day that was "sealed" using a bit of plastic carrier bag instead of teflon/thread tape!!!  Shocked  Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: