QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

would 5w-30 semi-syth, be the cause of warm start problems?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 20:48    Post subject: would 5w-30 semi-syth, be the cause of warm start problems? Reply with quote

I've recently put the engine of a written-off 3.0  into my dead engined 54 plate trooper,
All was great, passed its MOT (and its been parked up 2 years so the gods must be smiling )
And now I've got warm start problems ,

the transplanted engine came from another trooper I had, that did regular 80 mile round hard towing trips, before being written-off, It then did sterling work around the farm for a year (great for jump starting old tractors) until (we thought) the gearbox went (actually the flywheel)

so far I've:-
swapped the ECU (check engine all the time)
done the white wire trick (wouldn't start warm at all)
just swapped the ORPS (?)

still starts from cold , oil pressure mid-gauge , warms up , then starts showing check engine at Idle , rev up a little and check engine disappears, oil pressure slackens off a little at idle , and the engine wants to stall, if stopped, to restart it churns FOREVER, sometimes it eventually fires (but I can't rely on it) and it ALWAYS start right away if tow started (kinda rules out fuel shortage)

I'd changed the oil and the fitlers , I'd sent out for 5w-30 fully synth (as recommended on this site), I've just re-checked the remaining oil drums and its   semi synth,I would have figured it wouldn't make any difference, and that given the engines long period of being dormant, I'd be changing oil and filter again soon/come summer,

So would the difference between fully and semi synth be enough to cause the warm start problem?

Last edited by Neddy on Tue Mar 06, 2018 0:42; edited 1 time in total
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 20:48    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

eithan h

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope wouldn't of thought so you need to get a tech2 on it to see whats going on, try bridging pins 6 and 4 in the drag plug then put the ignition on and see if it flashes the check engine light as a code
Neddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems to be 16 -62 -63- 74 ?

16 Oil temp sensor high/low voltage
62 rail pressure system high warning
63 rail pressure system high voltage
74 Intake throttle position,  sensor high voltage
eithan h

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

the orps codes are probably where you disconnected the white and the other two wouldn't cause starting issues. im thinking either oil pressure or orcv but you would need a tech2 for that
Neddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the update from the Diagnostics

Nightmare drive to get there, once warm engine would want to stall under 2000rpm , no power, only ran to 3100 rpm tops, check engine light at low rpm

anyway everything is fine on the scan & he can't find a problem, advices  taking it to the Isuzu dealer (they've only just taken on the franchise so thats pointless), or he could spend days at it,

I've asked what causes the check engine light, he recons the throttle potentiometer(?)  - still mystified

any advice welcomed
eithan h

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are in witney near oxford but we are booking about 2 weeks in advance at the minute
Neddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eithan
       Thanks , but rules and costs of bangernomics rule that out (trailering from Shropshire to Oxford), the old girl has had just about all the coin I'm prepared to throw at her,
Neddy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diagnostics report only found Fault code P1486 - Throttle position sensor , and has ruled that out,

still starts, but cuts out & wont restart even more quickly (but engine does rev and have power), so seems to be getting progressively worse , tried overfilling oil when it wont start, it will then start , but only briefly,  

Last resort I'm going to open up the sump and check the oil suction pipe - after that I'm done.
eithan h

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you know anyone with a tech2?
Neddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took it to Shropshire Automotive/Mike Evans motorsport ,  mike said he'd got Tech2 and every other scanner going , but there's not much info in a Troopers system to work on , and beside the code P1486, there wasn't much for him to work from,
eithan h

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is everything you need to know if know what your looking for and know what the readings should be, if you can get it on tech2 then phone me at work and i can talk you through what to look for
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: