2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Speedo inop after 4 miles every journey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beaker920

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 20:26    Post subject: Speedo inop after 4 miles every journey Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a 93' isuzu bighorn 3.1TD Auto, and have an annoying issue with the speedo. It stops working on every journey after 4 or so miles. It will always work at the start of a journey if the engine is cold, without fail. It just seems to pack up after the engine has warmed up...? Have replaced the speed sensor at the rear of the g.box 3 times, and the speedo itself has been replaced too. Gearbox oil level is OK. 9 times out of 10 when the speedo stops working i lose overdrive at the same time, so i have to go down from 50mph+ to an estimated 30ish mph to keep the revs down low enough so as not to use a tank of fuel in 10 mins. Can anybody shed any light on what i could do to cure it? With the evenings getting lighter and warmer now i want to take the kids out to the coast after work, but i'd need to set off 3 days in advance with how the truck is at the min  Laughing

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Kind Regards

Ian
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 20:26    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be the drive for the speed sensor. I had this. It jammed and stopped turning the sensor. Have a read of this thread. 8th post down on the first page

http://www.itocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32389

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

Beaker920

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is that located, is it near the black plug on the back of the gearbox? Also, I've noticed on here that a lot of troopers have 2 battery's, one behind the o/s headlight and one fitted near the firewall? Mine's only got the one behind the headlight. Would that cause any electrical issues?

Thanks again

Ian
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bit:

is what the speed sensor screws onto.

Take out the bolt that holds the little bracket on, and the drive prises out. You might have to twist it at the same time.

The second battery is for trucks with the winter package. Won't affect what you are having. I only have one battery on my current truck (like most Bighorns) and doesn't have this problem.

Deceased

Beaker920

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that, I'll have a look at the condition of mine. Had a word with my mate who was the last owner, he reckons he's already replaced the sensor pick up along with the sensor. But I will check.

Thanks again

Ian
Beaker920

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again! The sensor pick has been replaced as well, so no luck there unless it was a dud that was fitted. I have also now found that the wiring loom that runs along the chassis has a large connector in it, and very VERY corroded. It's only got 3 wires in it, and all the connections look poor. I will try and add a photo tomorrow when I can hopefully get under the car again, but has anyone come across this loom before, and what it does? Could replacing it fix the speedo problem?

Thanks again

Ian
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would repair those wires and make the connections good again.

Deceased

Dartmoor Dave

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beaker. Did you get to the bottom of it?
Mine has failed again, new speedo sensor fitted but this time , no go.  I have power to the sensor plug so whats next?  Is it a dash out?
Ta
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: