QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Oil spray from turbo - 4JX1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Browndoff

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 20:24    Post subject: Oil spray from turbo - 4JX1 Reply with quote

Hi Guys, it's probably a standard problem - but apart from oil being sprayed around the engine-bay, I've also got emulsion in my coolant-overflow bottle. I think it's a fault in the turbocharger - can a faulty oil-seal get oil into the water-jacket of the turbocharger?
There's no smoke from the exhaust and power-output seems fine. There's no strange noise from the Turbo [that I'd recognise, anyway].
I'm nervous of tackling this job, partly because turbochargers are so expensive [when available!] but also because it's so hard to remove nuts from the exhaust-system without breaking the rusty bolts!
I'd appreciate any advice on tackling the job - where to start, what I need to prepare, etc.
Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 20:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

eithan h

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

not seen it myself, you sure it's not diesel?
Browndoff

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 22:18    Post subject: Oil spray from turbo - 4JX1 AND in water Reply with quote

I'm not at ALL sure that it's not diesel in the water! I may have two separate problems!

I tried to remove the Turbo today and was pleased that the fixings came off smoothly - but HOW is one supposed to access the 3 exhaust-manifold nuts? They seem to be buried behind the turbo-centre-body. The waste-gate-actuator is holding the centre to the turbine-casing and can't be removed 'cos its clip is at bottom [and meant to be separated only after the whole thing is removed]?
My turbocharger is well-represented by the manual picture on page 2145 of the 62Mb PDF [just to help you visualise my problem].
There seems to be no play in the compressor-shaft-end, so maybe the turbo needs only new oil-seals - but that's no help if it cant be removed!

If it IS fuel in the water, does that HAVE to mean the O-rings are gone in the Injector-Sleeves? Replacing those would be a huge job - would it not?
Browndoff

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 20:32    Post subject: odd solution Reply with quote

I thought I should come back 'cos, like many, I hate to see a post started and then not get to know what actually ended the story.

I got half-way through the removal of the turbo - and stopped! Why continue, I thought? There's no smoke from exhaust - there's very little oil in the intercooler - so the oil sprayed around CAN'T be from a ruined bearing in the turbo. It must be a leak form somewhere else - maybe a loose oil-pipe....?

After assembly, I started it [easily] and left it running smoothly while I had a cuppa. It had stalled when I returned and would NOT restart - not so much as a stutter!

There was still the 'mayonaise' in the coolant bottle - so I thought I'd start with checking for water in the fuel system and, specifically, with the fuel filter. I stripped it out and found it 25% full of filthy water!! The water was brownish and full of brown solid bits - yeuch! Although I had a fresh fuel-filter handy, I didn't feel ready to use it until I had found the real source of trouble. I cleaned it out and and re-filled it with fuel, bled the air and pumped it 'solid'.

NO START!! Re-bled filter and re-pumped several times. Opened return-line and checked that there WAS fuel coming out. STILL no start!

After a lot of frustration and messing with possible electrical faults, I fitted a clear-plastic tube to the return-line to see if there was still air in the system.

Just to mock me, the darn thing started immediately after it filled the clear-plastic tube! It ran smoothly although there was a steady stream of bubbles passing along the clear tube - finally the tube cleared of bubbles and the Trooper continued to run - as though nothing had happened at all!

There's still work to do - I have to investigate the coolant problem - but the old Beastie is running again!
eithan h

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

diesel in the rad?
MathewCox

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem and it was because of the diesel...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: