QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Shift on the Fly Again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clive

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 16:04    Post subject: Shift on the Fly Again Reply with quote

HI Guys

I’ve been trying to find out if there is an oil drain plug on the sotf, this is a reply I had from Grandad.

Quote “Sorry for telling you wrong must be the heat that plug is the filler plug the drain is on the front and it is the bottom left bolt as you look at the sotf unit of the four bolts that hold it on to the axle”

I’ve had a look and still can’t tell which bolt/plug it is, I’ve included some photos of a couple of bolts I’ve taken out but no oil has come out and yet it seems wet enough when I took the filler plug out although I did not check the oil level.

After reading Rhanagar’s article on sotf which he did way back in 2011 especially the part about undoing the 4 bolts and removing the front actuator fork to be careful otherwise you will get face full of oil, I have to ask the question is there a drain plug or only the one for topping it up ie. filler plug.  

If someone wouldn’t mind spending the time could they mark it on the photos I’ve posted.

My thanks to anyone who can help.

Clive
https://www.freephotoupload.com/images/2018/07/31/P1250587x.md.jpg
https://www.freephotoupload.com/images/2018/07/31/P1250585x.md.jpg
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 16:04    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Grandad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your second photo it is the one numbered 2 but it may not drain if the fill plug is in because the air cannot get in if you really want to change the oil undo all four bolts an d pull the unit gently off  there are no springs or other items that will fly out if working on the floor keep your head out the way  5 minute job
Grandad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

the oil is not under pressure
Clive

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for coming back Grandad,

I did have the filler plug out and even poked some wire in number 2 but still got nothing out so I stuck the wire in the filler plug hole and it came out with oil on it.
Tomorrow I'll do as you said and take the 4 bolts out and remove unit are there any gaskets which need replacing and is it just case of shoving the unit back on ie. nothing needs setting up because it's been pulled off??

Cheers

Clive
Clive

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Grandad

I've just had another read of Rhanagar's write up on sotf and it looks as though the fork just lines up between the two gears and looking at it if a gasket is required it's an easy enough shape to cut one or just use sealant.
To be truhful I don't use four wheel drive that often but it's nice to know it will work when one needs it.
Grandad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can check it is working when you have it unbolted by puting it in 4x4 with the engine running  DO have in park /neutral  handbrake on
Clive

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Grandad, I must admit I'd bolted it back together before I saw your posting, but I'm sure it can be checked another way. It's jacked up all round at the moment.

By the way I didn't find a drain plug on mine, I guess some are different to others, not that it matters as I took the plate off just to check the fork and gear moved freely.

Thanks again

Clive
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: