QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

ENGINE FIRES, CUTS AND THEN NEEEDS A LOT OF CRANKING!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnTrooper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:56    Post subject: ENGINE FIRES, CUTS AND THEN NEEEDS A LOT OF CRANKING!! Reply with quote

I am still plagued with a starting problem on my 99 4jx1 3.0D , engine fires then immediately cuts then requires a huge amount of cranking to get it to start – once started it is ok. Leave it a few hours or overnight and the process starts again. This all happened after the head gasket was changed, there are nonreturn valves on the fuel lines and the fuel pipe that goes to the manifold into the head has apparently been sealed by the mechanic that did the work. What else can go wrong? Should there have been new seals or whatever put on the injectors when they were put back into the head – can fuel leak from the fuel rail/head this way? Anything else I should check?
This one is driving me nuts as once going the vehicle runs well, however I use it in very rural locations so if it won't start one time getting assistance isn't gonna be easy. So any help would be much appreciated
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:56    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

eithan h

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

so it does sound like it's losing the fuel out of the head, original cure was non return valve fitted to the return line as it used to drain back to the tank, then the tube through the manifold needed new washers (3 in total) and remember not to tighten the collar up to tight or it pulls the tube off it's seat at the head and your back to square one!
then it was found the injectors could mix oil and diesel which would give the same result along with a rising oil level and the heads themselves can crack or go porous which again results in a rising oil level and air in the system. also check the metal fuel pipes on top of the fuel tank are not rusty and leaking air in that way
JohnTrooper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eithan, you are an absolute diamond on this forum – thanks again for responding to this issue I have. The head itself should be okay as it was tested prior to fitting to replace one that was actually cracked. As far as I'm aware the tube through the manifold should be seated correctly and I believe the guy that reinstalled it use some sealant to be sure.
Is there anyway the problem could be fuel leaking out between the fuel rail and the injectors? Forgive me I not sure how they are connected but I assume there is some pipework between them?

I haven't run it long enough and far enough yet to see if the oil level is rising but I will keep an eye on that.

You mention air potentially getting in from rusted fuel pipes near the tank, if there are nonreturn valves fitted how does air affect the whole deal?

I only wish you were closer to my location (Suffolk) without doubt I would certainly bring it to you to have it fixed!

Thanks again for replying to my post – it is very much appreciated
eithan h

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnTrooper wrote:
Eithan, you are an absolute diamond on this forum – thanks again for responding to this issue I have. The head itself should be okay as it was tested prior to fitting to replace one that was actually cracked. As far as I'm aware the tube through the manifold should be seated correctly and I believe the guy that reinstalled it use some sealant to be sure.
Is there anyway the problem could be fuel leaking out between the fuel rail and the injectors? Forgive me I not sure how they are connected but I assume there is some pipework between them?

I haven't run it long enough and far enough yet to see if the oil level is rising but I will keep an eye on that.

You mention air potentially getting in from rusted fuel pipes near the tank, if there are nonreturn valves fitted how does air affect the whole deal?

I only wish you were closer to my location (Suffolk) without doubt I would certainly bring it to you to have it fixed!

Thanks again for replying to my post – it is very much appreciated

crack testing the head won't show up a porous or cracked fuel line in the head as it requires the fuel line through the head to be pressurised and that would need the injectors in it at the time of testing, there is no link in fuel terms between the gallery that the injectors bolt to and the injectors as the fuel runs through the head.
sealant is a no no on the fuel system unless it's specific to fuel systems as diesel dissolves it and it goes like slime and blocks things up.
diesel engines require a sealed system as they normally rely on suction to get fuel from the tank to the engine so if theres a small hole then air leaks in and diesel runs back to the tank, fitting non return valves keep the diesel in place as they require pressure from the diesel to open so when the engine stops theres no pressure so the valve shuts. generally it's only needed on the return line and as a test you can clamp the line off after the last journey and see how it starts the next day, if it's ok then it needs a valve but if it still does it then you could be looking at a head.

suffolk isn't far we got customers in france and morocco!!
JohnTrooper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Eithan, I need to think about what to do as I already spent quite a bit of money having a apparently sound but second-hand head fitted and there is a limit to how much money I want to spend on this old vehicle – though I love it and in all other ways it's very sound. I'm wondering if I should get it to you as I'm sure you would be able to determine the issue very quickly, perhaps I should call you to see how this might work

Once again thanks for your help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: