2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Front Shocks Help Needed ASAP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clive

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 19:46    Post subject: Front Shocks Help Needed ASAP Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Can some wiz on the forum put me right as I need to get the car fixed ASAP.

My Trooper has just failed its MOT because of a leaking front shock absorber, the MOT guy said it’s only the one which needs replacing.

I don’t do off roading other than towing a caravan off fields, I fitted two new front shock absorbers back in December 2010 and the car has only done 15,100 miles since then, having said that if one of them has a slight leak then they need replacing.
The front ones I bought were off Milner’s.
The MOT guy said they normally fit KYB, which I’ve been looking at on e-bay, namely 2x Shock Absorbers (Pair) Front 344355 KYB Damper 8970438162 8971135002 Quality.
Price £72.40 for the pair.

I’ve got four questions:

1/  I’ve always replaced them in pairs, what are your thoughts on this,?

2/  On the compatible vehicle listing on the e-bay site it says Variant MK III, I haven’t a clue what MK mine is.
Is there anyone out there who can tell me if my Trooper is a MK III?
It's a 3.0DT year 2000 manual gearbox.

3/ Is a 3.0TD the same as 3.0DTi?

3/  Fitting the new shock absorber, I’ve  usually just measured the amount of thread protruding above the nut and simply tightened the nut so it leaves the same amount of thread protruding.
I’ve marked it as measurement X on the photo.
Is there any specific measurement it should be?

My thanks to anyone who can offer some advice

Clive

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RAnVk3mB7eJxcmCd6
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 19:46    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours is a Mk3 as far as I know  Very Happy
The front shocks are the same on mk2 and 3 across the engine range, you can get them from £10 each.
KYB are decent brand/OE but there's loads of 'budget gas filled' available.
They are fixed with an eyebolt nut/bolt on the bottom and a threaded bar with nut/locknut on the top, and are really really easy to fit! Just lift the body a few inches and support, then swap  Laughing

The rears are also pretty easy to swap, the only issue being access to the top eye nut/bolt, is tight, if you have a decent ratchet spanner its easy but you need to spend time turning the nut one flat at a time

If you are on a tight budget, I've got a full set of OE shocks from Milners, done a few hundred miles, then I fitted uprated +2" gas ones, going cheap  Wink
Clive

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jacksdad

Thanks for letting me know I’ve got a Mark 3.  I think I’ll give the KYB ones a try as the ones I’m taking off were from Milner’s, but thanks for your kind offer.

I’ve also managed to find out how tight the threaded screw nut should be tightened, it’s better than measuring the protruding screw length.
I found it in the manual under the 2000 Model  Sec. 3    Front Suspension pages 3C-3 and 3C-4.

Thanks once again for your help

Clive
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you are getting sorted  Very Happy
As to bolt torques, I just tighten them up according to thread size: bottom nut/bolt are 'big swing on the breaker bar', top ones are smaller and finer thread, so I tighten them until the rubber bushes are 'squashed a bit' then fasten the locknut on top  Shocked
Been building engines, cars and motorbikes for over 40 years, so just sort of feel the correct of tightening...
spoondeep

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys

FYI KYB were one of the original suppliers to Isuzu, as were I believe Monroe.

I'm not sure if that was due to regional sales, US for example typically have a market preferring much softer suspension, and springs/shock are frequently unique to USA for most marques.

I think my 95 Bighorn has some after market no-brand fronts, and original OEM rears.
I have a full set of Monroe Adventure in reserve,
Rears are here UBS69/73
https://www.eebuygum.co.uk/itm/fits-ISUZU-TROOPER-BIG-HORN-1992-2007-2-x-MONROE-REAR-SHOCK-ABSORBERS/170581574233?hash=item27b7744259:g:haEAAOxyRhBS6pSh:rk:1:pf:0

Front
https://www.eebuygum.co.uk/itm/2-X-Monroe-Front-Shock-Absorbers-For-Isuzu-Trooper-Bighorn-UBS69-UBS73-1992/271221421350?hash=item3f260e7526:g:BvgAAOxyod5SIHLP:rk:1:pf:0

The at least look well made, and I read some good reviews before I selected those.

As it happens I just fitted KYB KG54308 on the rear of the Vehicross, and they are the KYB suggested "equivalent" to the original monotubes. For sure, the build quality and materials is vastly inferior to the originals, but then again, the originals cost ca £700 EACH, (and there are none left), so I went with the KYB recommendation, you can get them at least, and they are less than 5% of the price of the monotubes.

Good luck btw.
Cheers
spoondeep

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I forgot to add the torque data. (*from the Isuzu manual)

To be able to replace the front shocks, you will probably have to remove the ARB, if so, the bracket nuts torque to 22Nm, and the ARM (link) to 50Nm.

Front Shocks
Top nut 20Nm
Bottom Bolt/nut/washer 82Nm

Rear Shocks:
NOTE: Tighten the bolt and nut lightly, and retighten to the specified torque after the vehicle is at curb height.
NOTE: When mounting shock absorber, be sure not to use grease on bushings or any other nearby part.
Top Bolt/nut/washer 95Nm
Bottom nut/washer 78Nm
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ProComp ES9000 Uprated shocks are cheaper, I bought 4 x +2" for £150 delivered  Very Happy
spoondeep

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice price. The look nice, doubt they will stay white for long Smile

What's the ride/handling like?
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are really good, mine are +2" but can't see the standard length ones being any different: Lots of Lawn Rover and other Jap owners use these, top quality shocks at a decent price.
And mine are still white, and with the yellow boots, they even look good  Very Happy
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

From their site:
Nitrogen gas-charged Pro Comp ES9000 shocks are designed for increased load capacity, as well as high performance ride and handling characteristics. Their expanded twin-tube design also increases fluid capacity by 50 percent to reduce internal operating temperatures. ES9000 shocks are specially designed to integrate with Pro Comp suspension systems. They feature 10-stage velocity-sensitive valving, a 1 3/8 in. nylon-banded full-displacement piston, and a large 5/8 in. hard-chromed piston rod. They're available for stock-height and lifted suspensions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: