4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Newbie needing advice about shifting to 4wd please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MartLewis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 18:18    Post subject: Newbie needing advice about shifting to 4wd please Reply with quote

No handbook with my car so I'm pretty much guessing.  I have a 1998 Trooper Citation 3.1d 5 speed manual.

There is also a stick for shifting to 4h & 4l.  No other buttons on dash.

Will it shift on the fly?
Do I clutch when moving from 2wd to 4h?
Can anyone post the correct procedures for changing drive?

Many thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 18:18    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

MartLewis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

If nobody knows, would anyone at least be able to share the relevant page from handbook if possible?
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

You simply press the button to engage then disengage the 4WD system, but only below 30mph, and you cannot use 4WD on tarmac. The front wheels need to be able to spin so the system doesn't wind up.
You can use 4WD with the 'normal' gearbox, then if you still cannot keep moving you simply move the second lever into L, so now you have much lower gear ratios...much lower! When offroading, I can drive round from standstill in 3rd or even 4th gear.
Another thing: if you press the dash button whilst in low box, you will have just rear wheel drive but in the low gearbox, you can shift back into High when driving slowly...back to normal RWD road use. Its a pretty good set up, the only drawback is the need to get out of 4WD every time you drive on tarmac for more than a few hundred yards
MartLewis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't seem to have a 4wd button... just a second gear lever.
drew m

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 20:03    Post subject: 4 wheel drive Reply with quote

Hi,
I don't think you have  soft its the next model (3.0) that has it, you'll probably need to be stationery to engage 4wd otherwise you'll crunch gears.
Cheers Drew
MartLewis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.  I assume I shift lever to 4h and set off to engage hubs.

Is there a sequence to disengaged them?  I recall something about reversing being mentioned?

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: