QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Rear coil springs replacements

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Newtroopy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 16:32    Post subject: Rear coil springs replacements Reply with quote

Hi, on my 3.0 2000 Trooper, the rear coil springs are getting very worn. I’m looking at replacing them and the shocks.
The shocks I have done before, but springs are new to me.  
Is it an easy job, special tools?
Thinking of using Milllners for parts, just wanting to keep the old truck running as long as possible.
Any advice would be great.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 16:32    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

troopermatter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite easy job, done it already and not a mechanic lol.

1) Raise the vehicle and put it on stands, not on the rear axle itself but on each side of the frame. Make sure it's safe.

2) Use a good but standard pair of coil spring compressors (you can't use only one), no need spending a fortune on that.

[img]http://[/img]

3) Fix each one opposite the other and pry the coil by turning the nut by hand then use a spanner, each one a little at a time. The spring will start loading.
Always make sure it's well fitted and watch what you are doing! Wearing glasses always help protecting eyes, just in case.

4) When coil is compressed enough, no need going all the way down, you can (and that's what I do) hold the loaded spring with a strap and tie two solid knots each side of spring) for added safety.

5) Now you can safely remove the spring.

6) To unload old spring, cut the strap and slowly release the load from the compressor, one side at a time until it is fully unloaded.

7) Take a few pics while you're there, you can always use them for future reference.

8) Fit the new coil springs the opposite way making sure you put back the insulators if they're not stuck. If you have used another strap to hold the spring, remember to cut it before you start releasing the spring while the compressor is still loaded around the coil. Job done.

If I missed something I'm sure someone can correct me.
troopermatter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be helpful for reference...

[img]http://[/img]
Newtroopy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 20:19    Post subject: Coil springs Reply with quote

Many thanks, very informative
eithan h

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

disconnect the rear shock absorbers whilst it's still on the ground then jack the body up, if you chock the front wheels so it can't move then most people jack under the tow bar to lift the body the springs will pretty much fall out on their own
troopermatter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

eithan h wrote:
disconnect the rear shock absorbers whilst it's still on the ground then jack the body up, if you chock the front wheels so it can't move then most people jack under the tow bar to lift the body the springs will pretty much fall out on their own

This is called "a short, concise and professional answer". The reason to be for this forum. And an easy way to do this coil springs job. I'm sure I will become a mechanic one day! Thanks eithan! I'll do it this way when it comes to replacing mine  happy3
Newtroopy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ethan, thats got the easter break sorted out.
ordered the parts today from Milners, with the exhaust and shocks.

spending lots on the old truck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: