4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Vehicross JDM (UK) Tech2 Card Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Tech 2 / Tech II
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spoondeep

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:05    Post subject: Vehicross JDM (UK) Tech2 Card Discussion Reply with quote

Hello to all.
I've been trying to find information on which Tech2 card(s) versions are compatible with the Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) Vehicross 3.2L (V6D1).

Some background:
After a lot of online research, all I've come up with is data referring to the USA Vehicross, which aside from a different engine (3.5L vs 3.2L), is very different in electronic specification, even the wiring loom colour coding is different!
Mechanically, the only part of the drive train these two seem to share is the GM transmission 4L30-E.

To make matters more confusing the Tech2 Isuzu cards do list both 3.2 and 3.5 engines, but do NOT communicate as expected with the V6D1.
To add to my current confusion, if I try the 3.5L engine option, I get an immediate "incorrect platform" error (as you'd expect), while the 3.2L (V6D1) option is accepted without error, but it then refuses to display any engine data, (all fields are "*").
Furthermore, the ABS module talks to some degree, then errors with incorrect version, while the SRS module seems ok.
The TOD connects, but then just waits at the "waiting for data" screen.
The 4L40E talks without issue, displays data, rpm, and all fields seem to function.

My current conclusion is, my 1997 JDM is using some combination of ECU, ABS, TOD, SRS, that were not "bundled" correctly on the Tech2 card.
This conclusion is also supported in part, that so far all the Isuzu cards I have checked, make no mention of the Vehicross until 1999, and stop listing them after 2000, (the same years of the USA sales availability).
Furthermore, I find online, no mention of such tech2 issues in the USA, so presumably Tech2 and USA Vehicross have no such compatibility issues.

I'm therefore hopeful, that someone out there has been here before, and can point me in the right direction. (Tech2 card, version number etc?)

I'm also aware I might be breaking new ground here, and will ensure I update this topic as and when I make some progress.

I'm also going to make a list of all the Tech2 Isuzu versions I'm aware of, and which versions I've tried, what works, what doesn't, in the hope some compatibility matrix can be built up.

Finally, I'm considering it possible the Holden and JDM cars that exported down under might hold the key to this, so expanding the search to the Holden Tech2 cards might be required. Equally, given the abundance of keen Kiwi/Aussie can-doers out there, maybe these challenges have been met already?

If anyone out there can  help, I'd most appreciate it.
Side note: Polite Request: Replies like, ("is your tech2 working?", "why don't you use such & such tool", "I don't know, but" etc etc), are not helpful! The internet is already swamped with such banality, and that just makes it all the more hard to find accurate information.

Last question: Bigger picture for all the Bighorn, and Trooper fans, perhaps the compatibility matrix could be expanded to include them also, anyone interested?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:05    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

spoondeep

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tech2 Card Version                   Year     Vehicross     F0:Powertrain     3.2L V6 6VD1     3.5L V6 6VE1     4L30E        F1:Chassis     ABS            TOD         F2:Body     Airbag
V11.660 Isuzu 1996 - 2013        1999      Yes                                            Yes(NOK)             Yes(?)                  Yes(OK)                             Yes(NOK)     Yes(NOK)                   Yes(OK)
V11.660 Isuzu 1996 - 2013        2000      Yes                                            Yes(NOK)             Yes(?)                  Yes(OK)                             Yes(NOK)     Yes(NOK)                   Yes(OK)
V11.660 Isuzu 1996 - 2013        2001      Yes                                            Yes(NOK)             Yes(?)                  Yes(OK)                             Yes(NOK)     Yes(NOK)                   Yes(OK)

V11.640 Isuzu 1996 - 2013        1999      Yes                                            Yes(NOK)             Yes(?)                  Yes(OK)                             Yes(NOK)     Yes(NOK)                   Yes(OK)
V11.640 Isuzu 1996 - 2013        2000      Yes                                            Yes(NOK)             Yes(?)                  Yes(OK)                             Yes(NOK)     Yes(NOK)                   Yes(OK)
V11.640 Isuzu 1996 - 2013        2001      Yes                                            Yes(NOK)             Yes(?)                  Yes(OK)                             Yes(NOK)     Yes(NOK)                   Yes(OK)

V11.260 Isuzu 1996 - 2013 JP    1999      Yes                                            Yes(????)             Yes(?)                  Yes(???)                            Yes(????)     Yes(????)                  Yes(????)
V11.260 Isuzu 1996 - 2013 JP    2000      Yes                                            Yes(????)             Yes(?)                  Yes(???)                            Yes(????)     Yes(????)                  Yes(????)
V11.260 Isuzu 1996 - 2013 JP    2001      Yes                                            Yes(????)             Yes(?)                  Yes(???)                            Yes(????)     Yes(????)                  Yes(????)

V11.142 Isuzu NA 1996 - 2004   1999      Yes                                            NO                       Yes(?)                  Yes(OK)                             Yes(NOK)     Yes(NOK)                   Yes(OK)
V11.142 Isuzu NA 1996 - 2004   2000      Yes                                            NO                       Yes(?)                  Yes(OK)                             Yes(NOK)     Yes(NOK)                   Yes(OK)
V11.142 Isuzu NA 1996 - 2004   2001      Yes                                            NO                       Yes(?)                  Yes(OK)                             Yes(NOK)     Yes(NOK)                   Yes(OK)

TBC
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark at Old Mill Motors.

Give Mark (eithan h on the forum) a bell. He's probably the only one on here that may be able to help.
Best I can do for you.    Embarassed
eithan h

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

think i've seen one maybe two vehicross's in the time i've been doing isuzus so not really had much chance to get in to them but i should think you would need to load the info from tis2000 that refers to the american market rather than using the uk market cards
spoondeep

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Red Robbo
Thanks Eithan H

I'm going to have a flashing session on Sat, (not what you're thinking), and try all the TIS2000 and Isuzu cards I have.

One of the key differences between JDM and US is the TOD.
The US vehicles TOD is always on, and lever only changes 4L or 4H.
The JDM is nicer imho, as it has a 3 position lever, 2H, and 4L on the lever, with TOD in the middle. (which means you're not stranded if TOD fails, as you can mechanically disengage it, by shifting to 2H, (or mechanically lock 4L)).

Equally, the JDM Vehicross was produced 97~99, where as the US 99~01.

I flashed the 11.260 from TIS2000, (Domestic and Export), in Japanese, and it does appear different, (aside from the Japanese), at least with the SRS menu.

Anyway, thanks for the advice chaps, update to follow.
spoondeep

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:40    Post subject: Tech2 Card Update (Mar 2018) Reply with quote

After a lot of testing yesterday, I had success in communicating with ALL modules except TOD.

Listing every card, version, year, model etc that DIDN'T work makes little sense, so what follows is a listing of what DOES work.

The good news is, with the exception of TOD, all modules can be connected to with the programs contained on a single Tech2 card.

That card is.

Software Version: 142.001 Holden 1997 - 2012

Unfortunately none of the TOD programs communicated with my 97 JDM Vehicross, and that hunt continues.

Matrix will be pasted below, and you will need to refer to it, as no one year, or model software package contained a complete working set, and you need to switch years and models and modules as required. The good news is, this all actually works, I tested most functions, was able to see and hear the Vehicross respond, fuel pump on/off for example, and even toggled on/off instrument warning lamps on the dash.

What's Next.
Find a program that talks to the TOD.
Update the Matrix, if I find a better (or equivalent) Tech2 card/version than 142.000.

Side Note: All the Isuzu cards I checked so far, were practically useless for my Vehicross. Some programs appear to communicate, but display no real-time data, or cause the Tech2 to beep with each acquisition cycle. I had some crash the Tech2, while others actually give errors such as ECU mismatch.

For the 6VD1, it seems there are at least 2 totally different ECU hardware versions, and all the Isuzu cards I checked, that list the 6VD1, accepted the Tech2 connection, but displayed no data.
The KEY difference was "Hitachi", as in:

3.2L V6 6VD1 Hitachi

On all cards I checked, if the "Hitachi" suffix was listed, that talked in both directions.
Without "Hitachi", the connection was not refused with a ECU mismatch error, but no data was actually displayed on the Tech2.
spoondeep

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tech2 Card Version                   Year     Vehicross     Powertrain     3.2L V6 6VD1     3.5L V6 6VE1     4L30E        Chassis     ABS                   TOD         Body     Airbag
V142.001 Holden 1997 - 2012    1997      Yes/Monterey                      Yes(NOK)              No                       Yes(NOK)                     Yes/ABS 5(OK)    No                         Yes(OK)
V142.001 Holden 1997 - 2012    1998      Yes/Monterey                      No                        Yes(?)                  Yes(OK)                       Yes/ABS 5(NOK)  No                          No
V142.001 Holden 1997 - 2012    1999      Yes/Rodeo                           Yes(Hitachi)(OK)   No                       Yes(NOK)                     No                       No                         No
V142.001 Holden 1997 - 2012    2000      Yes/Rodeo                           Yes(Hitachi)(OK)   No                       Yes(NOK)                     No                       No                         Yes(NOK)

Possibly later Holden cards will also work.
I have V149.000 and 157.000, and will test them during the hunt for TOD comms.
Update to follow.
spoondeep

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoondeep wrote:
Tech2 Card Version                   Year     Vehicross     F0:Powertrain     3.2L V6 6VD1     3.5L V6 6VE1     4L30E        F1:Chassis     ABS            TOD         F2:Body     Airbag
V11.680 Isuzu 1996 - 2013        1998      Yes/Frontier, LAO-Rodeo              Yes(Hitachi)(OK)    No                       No                                     No               No                             No
V11.680 Isuzu 1996 - 2013        1998      Yes/Rodeo/Amigo, Wizard/MU        No                       No                       Yes(OK)                             No               No                             No

V11.660 Isuzu 1996 - 2013        1999      Yes                                            Yes(NOK)             Yes(?)                  Yes(OK)                             Yes(NOK)     Yes(NOK)                   Yes(OK)
V11.660 Isuzu 1996 - 2013        2000      Yes                                            Yes(NOK)             Yes(?)                  Yes(OK)                             Yes(NOK)     Yes(NOK)                   Yes(OK)
V11.660 Isuzu 1996 - 2013        2001      Yes                                            Yes(NOK)             Yes(?)                  Yes(OK)                             Yes(NOK)     Yes(NOK)                   Yes(OK)

V11.640 Isuzu 1996 - 2013        1999      Yes                                            Yes(NOK)             Yes(?)                  Yes(OK)                             Yes(NOK)     Yes(NOK)                   Yes(OK)
V11.640 Isuzu 1996 - 2013        2000      Yes                                            Yes(NOK)             Yes(?)                  Yes(OK)                             Yes(NOK)     Yes(NOK)                   Yes(OK)
V11.640 Isuzu 1996 - 2013        2001      Yes                                            Yes(NOK)             Yes(?)                  Yes(OK)                             Yes(NOK)     Yes(NOK)                   Yes(OK)

V11.260 Isuzu 1996 - 2013 JP    1999      Yes                                            Yes(????)             Yes(?)                  Yes(???)                            Yes(????)     Yes(????)                  Yes(????)
V11.260 Isuzu 1996 - 2013 JP    2000      Yes                                            Yes(????)             Yes(?)                  Yes(???)                            Yes(????)     Yes(????)                  Yes(????)
V11.260 Isuzu 1996 - 2013 JP    2001      Yes                                            Yes(????)             Yes(?)                  Yes(???)                            Yes(????)     Yes(????)                  Yes(????)

V11.142 Isuzu NA 1996 - 2004   1999      Yes                                            No                       Yes(?)                  Yes(OK)                             Yes(NOK)     Yes(NOK)                   Yes(OK)
V11.142 Isuzu NA 1996 - 2004   2000      Yes                                            No                       Yes(?)                  Yes(OK)                             Yes(NOK)     Yes(NOK)                   Yes(OK)
V11.142 Isuzu NA 1996 - 2004   2001      Yes                                            No                       Yes(?)                  Yes(OK)                             Yes(NOK)     Yes(NOK)                   Yes(OK)

V142.001 Holden 1997 - 2012    1997      Yes/Monterey                              Yes(NOK)             No                       Yes(NOK)                         Yes/ABS 5(OK)     No                     Yes(OK)
V142.001 Holden 1997 - 2012    1998      Yes/Monterey                              No                       Yes(?)                 Yes(OK)                            Yes/ABS 5(NOK)   No                       No
V142.001 Holden 1997 - 2012    1999      Yes/Rodeo                                Yes(Hitachi)(OK)     No                       Yes(NOK)                          No                       No                      No
V142.001 Holden 1997 - 2012    2000      Yes/Rodeo                                Yes(Hitachi)(OK)     No                       Yes(NOK)                          No                      No                      Yes(NOK)

V184.000 Opel 1997 - 2014       1997      Yes/Monterey                            Yes(NOK)               No                       Yes(NOK)                          Yes/ABS 5(OK)    No                       Yes(OK)

TBC
02Trooper777

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I THINK I am following this.

All I know is that the 'clone' Isuzu card I was supplied with does NOT recognise a European VIN -- only the North American Market VIN.
1986 Saab 900 Turbo. '84 Marlin Roadster.
+ motorcycles & '76 Reliant Kitten (don't laugh - it has got 4 wheels)...
spoondeep

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

@02Trooper777

What card version do you have? (I've listed the versions above in the left column).

Most of the GM NA (Isuzu) platform will probably have what you need, but you will have to drill down, and use trial and error, much as I have done here. AFAIK, there is no VIN module in the TECH2 software, and as the keypad is only numerical, I don't believe VIN searching was ever implemented in any version of TECH2 hardware or software. Meaning you need to use the year initially, then the model range menus to find the matching software config.

But if you hit a wall, the best advice I can suggest is, think less about the car model and year, and more about what component you are trying to communicate with. Certainly try the most logical path first, year/model etc, but if that fails, try the year before or after, and/or another model that shares the same components.

My wife's 55 plate SAAB 93 hot, for example fails to communicate with the 2005 (and 2004) models, but works with the 2006. Obviously there was a change point around that time, and some components on some of the 2005 cars, were using a newer ECU, which they officially rolled up in the 2006 TECH2 programming. (Or that might be a programming mistake when they compiled that card version).

The JDM Vehicross matrix above, is a clear example of how, cars, being modular, and sharing common components across several years, and many models, has been going on for decades already. But ironically the Japanese TECH2 card, 11.260 contains nothing that will communicate with my 1997, yet the Australian Holden card is the best single card covering everything except TOD, otherwise a combination of Isuzu 11.660 or 680, and an Opel card, is the next best combination, but less convenient in that you need to reboot the Tech2 off the other slot. Not a big problem, but costs you for a second card also of course.

If you want to use VIN searching, you will need an Win2000 or XP 32bit computer, and TIS software, but ultimately all that will do for you is tell you what card programming you need, and reprogram your TECH2 card. That said, you can use Tech2Win to interface to the TIS, and use that as a virtual TECH2, and check out the menu options etc. Or if you have the card images saved, you can just boot the Tech2Win emulator directly off those, and do most things, apart from security related features like reprogramming keys and ecu etc.

I guess the bigger question is, what are you trying to fix, or diagnose? If you're just wanting to establish communications now, while you have no issues, so as to be better prepared for if something does fail, that's not a bad idea, provided you read-only, and don't attempt to adjust anything.

For example, I recently diagnosed an EGR fault, ordered a new gasket, and while I was waiting for that to arrive, tried some cleaner spray, and fuel additive/cleaner, and used the TECH2 to reset that code. Some weeks later the warning light illuminated, and Tech2 again reported EGR error, so when the gasket arrived, I removed the valve, and sure enough it was sticking after a few gentle depressions, and reliably sticking at that. Some programs have the means to manually operate the EGR valve, which is useful to test it after cleaning, before reassembly etc. But also it was good to log data on the subsequent test drive, and compare with the data I logged during the valve sticking, and base line data I grabbed way back, when I had no faults etc. If that is useful to you or not, will probably be a question bettered answered by what you understand, or want to learn, or not, or why you purchased the Tech2 in the first instance.

It's kind of ironic that Troopers are probably one of the most reliable vehicles of all time, 25 years and counting on the UBS platform, I have never needed to connect the TECH2 to my Bighorn, and only purchased it to help with the Vehicross project, but it's spent at least double that amount of time, connected to the SAAB, so a useful purchase for other reasons in my case.

Best of luck.

Cheers
spoondeep

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foot note: It would be remiss of me not to shout-out to Ethan H, here on this forum, who helped me out with Vehicross parts a few months back, and was hence my source for the new EGR gasket I mentioned above.

http://www.oldmillmotorswitney.co.uk

Cheers Ethan Smile
Modz2014

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any have Holden 142 bin file please
spoondeep

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoondeep wrote:
spoondeep wrote:

V11.710 Isuzu 1996 - 2015        1998      Yes/Frontier, LAO-Rodeo              Yes(Hitachi)(OK)    No                       No                                     No               No                             No
V11.710 Isuzu 1996 - 2015        1998      Yes/Rodeo/Amigo, Wizard/MU        No                       No                       Yes(OK)                             No               No                             No

V11.680 Isuzu 1996 - 2013        1998      Yes/Frontier, LAO-Rodeo              Yes(Hitachi)(OK)    No                       No                                     No               No                             No
V11.680 Isuzu 1996 - 2013        1998      Yes/Rodeo/Amigo, Wizard/MU        No                       No                       Yes(OK)                             No               No                             No

V11.660 Isuzu 1996 - 2013        1999      Yes                                            Yes(NOK)             Yes(?)                  Yes(OK)                             Yes(NOK)     Yes(NOK)                  Yes(NOK)
V11.660 Isuzu 1996 - 2013        2000      Yes                                            Yes(NOK)             Yes(?)                  Yes(OK)                             Yes(NOK)     Yes(NOK)                  Yes(NOK)
V11.660 Isuzu 1996 - 2013        2001      Yes                                            Yes(NOK)             Yes(?)                  Yes(OK)                             Yes(NOK)     Yes(NOK)                  Yes(NOK)

V11.640 Isuzu 1996 - 2013        1999      Yes                                            Yes(NOK)             Yes(?)                  Yes(OK)                             Yes(NOK)     Yes(NOK)                 Yes(NOK)
V11.640 Isuzu 1996 - 2013        2000      Yes                                            Yes(NOK)             Yes(?)                  Yes(OK)                             Yes(NOK)     Yes(NOK)                 Yes(NOK)
V11.640 Isuzu 1996 - 2013        2001      Yes                                            Yes(NOK)             Yes(?)                  Yes(OK)                             Yes(NOK)     Yes(NOK)                 Yes(NOK)

V11.142 Isuzu NA 1996 - 2004   1999      Yes                                            No                       Yes(?)                  Yes(OK)                             Yes(NOK)     Yes(NOK)                   Yes(NOK)
V11.142 Isuzu NA 1996 - 2004   2000      Yes                                            No                       Yes(?)                  Yes(OK)                             Yes(NOK)     Yes(NOK)                   Yes(NOK)
V11.142 Isuzu NA 1996 - 2004   2001      Yes                                            No                       Yes(?)                  Yes(OK)                             Yes(NOK)     Yes(NOK)                   Yes(NOK)

V142.001 Holden 1997 - 2012    1997      Yes/Monterey                              Yes(NOK)             No                       Yes(NOK)                         Yes/ABS 5(OK)     No                     Yes(OK)
V142.001 Holden 1997 - 2012    1998      Yes/Monterey                              No                       Yes(?)                 Yes(OK)                            Yes/ABS 5(NOK)   No                       No
V142.001 Holden 1997 - 2012    1999      Yes/Rodeo                                Yes(Hitachi)(OK)     No                       Yes(NOK)                          No                       No                      No
V142.001 Holden 1997 - 2012    2000      Yes/Rodeo                                Yes(Hitachi)(OK)     No                       Yes(NOK)                          No                      No                      Yes(NOK)

V184.000 Opel 1997 - 2014       1997      Yes/Monterey                            Yes(NOK)               No                       Yes(NOK)                          Yes/ABS 5(OK)    No                       Yes(OK)

TBC
spoondeep

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 17:58    Post subject: Updated Tech2 info, including some corrections Reply with quote

Hey folks, apologies for the long overdue update here.

I made some corrections in the table above, as the SRS/Airbag data I posted previously wasn't entirely accurate.
While those previously marked as ok, DO communicate, I later realised that not all the data is reliable, and generates false DTS, and you can't clear them.

Table above is corrected, and I've added the latest Isuzu V11.710 card, having tested that now.
That said, for the JDM Vehicross, the Holden or Opel cards are a better choice, as the Isuzu cards only cover the PCM/Transmission, and there is no support for ABS or SRS.
moonoroof

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I recently bought A JDM Vehicross and had the need to use the Tech2 and it wouldn’t communicate with the vehicle. I used another Isuzu vehicle listed on the menu (can’t remember which one it was) and it read it. It was the Check Engine Light, faulty plug on cylinder 4.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Tech 2 / Tech II All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: