All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Rough running 3.0 litre

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 22:10    Post subject: Rough running 3.0 litre Reply with quote

Hello all. I'm hoping to pick your brains for help diagnosing my sickish trooper . So, a little bit of history , previously the car had the odd hesitation around 2000 rpm , usually under load , it occasionally started and ran rough in the mornings , if I turned it off, and restarted it, it would run fine . Also sometimes it would stall when stopping at a junction/ traffic lights etc . I kind of thought at this point my ORPS might need replacing.
                                  Now I have a slightly worse issue . The car starts ok but runs a little rough/ lumpy, and sounds like it's missing . When driving , the car has a very obvious feeling that it's missing , particularly above 1500 rpm and especially under harder acceleration. The car does run slightly better when warm .
                                  My gut feeling is that it feels like an injector but I'm no expert like you guys.  After trawling through the forum , I think it could also possibly be valve clearances , or may still be an ORPS issue, or something else . I would be very appreciative of your thoughts before I start dismantling random parts !!!!, many thanks in advance
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 22:10    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Mike Rosie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem with hesitation under load at mid rpm otherwise it was fine.
Turned out to be the Oil rail pressure control valve.
Fortunately I had a spare I could swap it out for.
If you haven’t replaced the oil ORPS then it’s probably worth starting there.
Have you ruled out the fuel system for leaks ?
I have had to fix the fuel pipes on the tanks of every trooper I owned.
The manifold air pressure sensor can also cause issues but generally it is a loss of power.
Have you got acces to a Tech ll to check things out and test injectors ?

Mike
buz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi , thanks for your reply , unfortunately I don't have tech 2 so I may have to work through things on a trial basis . The ORPS was changed around six years ago ( 30000 miles )  before I bought the car. I do have a complete oil rail and set of injectors I removed from my previous trooper before I scrapped it with a fairly new ORPS in it but I don't have an orpcv .  I might be a good idea to start with the ORPS and see if there is any difference . Is there a way of checking injectors without tech 2.
Mike Rosie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can remove the wire from the multi plug for each injector one at a time till you find a faulty one.
When I have had failed injectors they totally failed and it was obviously an injector.
Your problem sounds like something else.
Rule out the orps and fuel system then move on to orpcv

Mike
wildata

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
Sounds exactly like an injector. Gear stick wobbles 5 -10 mm. I had one gone for about 8 weeks. Remained surprisingly driveable.
Look up Trooper Dan on this forum - he will put you right.
Just be very sure you identify the correct cylinder - very messy to do without Tech 2 - you can carefully do it by
releasing the tags on the multiplug connector.
Take photos before and after always and often.

If you do it that way be sure to mark the actual wire for absolute certain (utterly beyond any later doubt) do not depend on colour of wires.

Changing an injector is do-able in about a day for a non professional who has not done it before. But be very sure you have identified the right one. You will need decent tools, especially larger 20-28mm spanners - do not try without.
buz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gents ,  thankyou very much for your help.  I'm going to have a bash at the weekend hopefully ,  going to start with the ORPS and injectors ( fuel system is good ). Hopefully the problem lies there as I have these parts from my old trooper . Then will move on to the ORPCV/ ROPCV .  I'm astounded at the price of the valve but then again not surprised. Will keep you posted as to my progress , thanks again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: