Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

3.0TD rough running on initial start up

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pighauler

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 13:09    Post subject: 3.0TD rough running on initial start up Reply with quote

Well after reading all the horror stories on this engine I went a bought a 2003 Trooper, with the 3.0TD!! so the problem is on a 1st start in the morning its rough as anything with the revs hunting up and down and will cut out, once you've got through this with 3 or 4 starts it settles down and once up to temperature it seems fine?

Is just had an engine oil and 2 filter change with Vauxhalls 2/30 fully synthetic C3/SN oil, any ideas would be great!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 13:09    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

pighauler

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil should read 5/30 fully synthetic!
eithan h

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

orps i would think
pighauler

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, I thought that might be the case, going to check through some of the other stuff like injector harness plug, MAP sensor and EGR while its in bits
pighauler

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

So ive worked through some of the easy bits like MAP/EGR and the injection harness which hasn't cured the problem but when it runs its better, just out of interest the MAP sensor is pretty common with a few different part numbers including GM 16235939 & 97180655 which was used on Astra/Corsa 1.7DTI, the injector harness plug was pretty messy with old oil so that got a good clean

Ive ordered the ORPS sensor so hopefully that will sort it!
pighauler

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

New ORPS sensor arrived and fitted, not got access to Tech 2 at present for setting up but the starting from cold problems are still with me!

So the problems are hard initial starting, a bit smokey once it goes and then a real lumpy hunting idle, if you try and drive off it will cut out but restart, once its warmed up it seems fine??

I may try the topping up the oil level over the max just to rule out the pickup problem?
eithan h

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need 2 litres past the max level to rule out strainers also try a different fuel supply bypassing the filter housing
pighauler

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info, well it does seem better with the extra 2ltrs, so to get to the pick up pipes is it just the small steel sump that needs to come off?

Thanks for your help so far on this!
eithan h

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and just silicone for the gasket but remember to put a smear around the new seals
pighauler

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we have done the extra 2 ltrs of oil and its cured the problem! I still cant get my head around the fact that there would have been more oil in sump on start up than when the engine is running as the oils circulating yet the fault was there on start up?? anyway I have got the seals on order from Isuzu for a very reasonable cost of about £2.70 each so that should be this weekends job

The other thing I also noticed before topping the oil up was very small bubbles when checking the oil on the dipstick, it looked like small metal particles but under a magnifying glass you could see they were bubbles so I guess that's a clue that it was drawing in air around the pick up pipes?

A big thanks to eithan for the very helpful replies and tips
pighauler

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well our friendly Isuzu dealer dropped the pick up pipe seals to us so I had the sump pan off and sure enough the pick up pipe for the injector supply was lying in the bottom of the sump, the bracket had snapped! bit of weld, a good clean up and were back together so that's another job jobbed

Its still a bit slow to start so Im thinking glow plugs now, does anyone know if they are a pain to replace eg snapping of before they come out?
eithan h

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes they are well known for it but sometimes you get lucky and they come out
02Trooper777

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you remember (after welding up the cracked bracket) to fabricate a 'brace' between the two pipes to stop further vibration and future cracking ?
1986 Saab 900 Turbo. '84 Marlin Roadster.
+ motorcycles & '76 Reliant Kitten (don't laugh - it has got 4 wheels)...
pighauler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bracket had a bit more of a brace welded in so should be ok hopefully! Its been running ok now and a mate had tech 2 with the correct software so we ran through everything just out of interest

Does anyone know with the high pressure oil set up for the injectors should the chamber in the rocker cover hold pressure or does it drop off once you turn the engine off? Im going to put a pair of new batteries on as I think they are not holding a decent charge, from initial start up it seems the engine has to crank pretty quick to get the injector oil pressure up before it starts
eithan h

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

it should drop to 0mpa when you switch off although it might stop at 0.2 ish then over time will go down to 0mpa. the engine needs to turn at 200rpm for the ecu to even think about enabling the injectors but yes it does pump the pressure up quickly although there is oil still in the gallery as there are some valves to stop it emptying it just needs to get it up to pressure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: