All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Loud noise like jamelle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishertrooper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 13:40    Post subject: Loud noise like jamelle Reply with quote

I would like to say a big thank you to Markymoan, philip, and jonkem [for your replies.
Jonkem--- The noise is singular, but as you drive along it might bang once, drive on another twenty feet and it could bang twice, drive half a mile and bang once. Where can I get a Hanes type Manual for my 3.1td 1994 swb. Is the Manual from the club shop any good in my case?
Can I get a drawing of an auto hub anywhere as I am unsure what I am looking at. Where is this circlip you mention. Is it the clip holding the hub in place on the splined shaft or is it on the actual hub itself? The 2 lugs you mention, are these the 2 that move when you rotate part of the hub in your hand, if so, they are not sheared
You were also good enough to mention that you know of 1 or 2 tests I could try for the axle.Are they difficult. I will try anything after looking at the hubs closely.

Would any have a part number for a set of manual hubs for a 1994 3.1 swb big horn?

regards
fishertrooper
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 13:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jonkem

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singular bangs does sound like hub type of noise, so investigate them before the rest. As a rule (having broken 4 front axles Embarassed ) when the diff has gone the noise gets progressively worse and louder until it is banging like a broken washing machine spinning, until finally there is no noise at all and also no drive. Most likely a hub unlocking under load, splines damaged on shaft or shaft moving out from hub.

You can examine the drive shaft splines with the hub off & the splines inside the hub at the same time. Check the teeth inside the end cover of the hub as well. Can't think of a way of testing the hubs reaction to load without loading them! Probably borrow a pair and drive it offroad?

The circlip holds the drive shaft into the hub so should have been the first part you came across. On an auto hub it fits onto the very end of the shaft where the shaft has been machined to a smaller diameter.

There are some websites related to disassembly & service of auto hubs. Markymoan will know if there is such a thing on ITOCUK. Consensus on web seems to be the repair is dearer than fitting manuals.

Superwinch hubs # 400533 $85.75 per PAIR from Summit Racing. You need to be able to get postage from the US.
Milners do cheaper Brazilian version at £55 EACH + vat + P&P.
I've got both and both work well, but the Superwinch are much sexier looking Smile
OEM mostly Aisin and regarded as best available but don't know where you can buy them.
2000 Astra Estate (work)
2006 VXR Astra
MK1 SR Nova
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: