2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Adding DRL’s and using redundant rear body tail light unit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C.B.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:24    Post subject: Adding DRL’s and using redundant rear body tail light unit Reply with quote

During some recent modifications to my old Trooper I added front and rear DRL’s.
The front units have a set of white LED’s for the daylight running bit and a set of amber LED’s for indicator mode. These were bought as bolt on units and fitted perfectly above the fog lamps without any issues. (There was a slight problem with making the indicator mode work properly but a couple of series diodes in the units white light feed supply sorts that out by reducing the voltage enough to make the unit switch over to amber reliably).
The rear lights were installed in the unused chamber of the upper body combination light and I used 2 x 5mm white LED’s in each unit for that.

First job after looking over the manual and probing about in the wiring a bit was to add a control relay and the wiring I needed to connect everything up (after disconnecting the battery).
Here’s the schematic diagram for the mods:-

To get the control wire for the relay I spliced into the 0.5mm brown wire coming from fuse C20 in the cabin footwell fuse box, this circuit has 12v only when the engine in running.  (C19 would have done as an alternative but it has a 3.0mm wire and slightly more awkward to splice neatly). The splice was done by carefully cutting through the insulation with a scalpel round the circumference of the wire in two positions about 8mm apart, then slitting between the two cuts and peeling the insulation off.  Then I tinned the exposed copper wire with solder and soldered the end of a new pre-tinned wire onto the prepared joint.  

Once that was done I taped up over the joint starting below and ending above to ensure a good spiral wrap of insulation.  The wire was then fed though to the engine bay, crimped and connected to the control relay (12v 30A) at pin 86.   The supply line for the relay power (30) was taken from a freshly added 5 Amp fuse added to the main fuse box and the relay coil was earthed (85) with ring terminal bolted just next to the main fuse box.

Front wires were added between the relay NO contact (87) and the LED units +ve wires, a local earth to the LED units –ve wires, and 2 wires from the front indicator units were spliced (by solder jointing) at the back of the unit and connected to the LED unit’s optional indicator feed wires.

The rear wires were run from the engine bay back through the grommet, along the side of the bottom door seal, behind the o/s rear trim and then up to the rear o/s light cluster using 0.5mm flat twin mains cable. Another twin cable was taken back out, under the side trim, along the underside of the back door trim and up into the n/s light cluster.

For the back lights I used 2 x high intensity 5mm white LED’s in each unit (these were pre-wired with resistors so they could be connected to 12v). Using a couple of terminal strips I soldered on the LED wires and two crimp blades (marking which was + and – for the LED’s) so I could connect using crimp receptacles and still have the units easily removable.

I took the light units off the car and carefully drilled 2 holes into the plastic of the blanking area at the back of the top unused bay, then inserted the LED’s (tight fit) up to the shoulder and put a spot of fast drying plastic glue round them (to ensure they didn’t eventually vibrate out).

Last job was to crimp up the 2 feed wires with the link wires on the o/s and the two wires on the n/s, connect them up then bolt everything back into place, connect up the battery and check the result!

All done!  Very Happy  Surprised  Laughing     Here’s the front (err... the bluish backlight for the chrome look radiator is another story)   Embarassed

And the back

This took ages to do but most of it was investigation, planning and collecting the bits, hopefully this will help anyone else wanting to do something similar.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

RolySC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:59    Post subject: DRLs Reply with quote

Nice job! Looks very effective - if I have a week or two to spare I may have a go at this myself!  Very Happy
ggiinnggeerr10

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

what lights have you got behined the grill
C.B.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used one single sealed 17cm 12 volt 6 watt COB high intensity LED unit (ice blue).
It’s stuck onto the inside of the front grille pointing back towards the radiator so that there's no direct light shining forward from the unit.

To make this unit work reliably (without overheating and burning out in a short space of time) it should be run off a regulated 12 volt supply, not straight off the battery.  Exclamation
naksh31

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent thread..!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: