4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Dual Mass Flywheel Failure.

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diytrooper

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just resized those images much easier to read now.....
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:07    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

nzomosky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Robbo wrote:
Spoken to several people over the W/E and just come off the phone to LuK technical support.
The long and short of it is,The 3.0 Engine/Transmission setup NEEDS a DMF.If it breaks its not cheap I know.But if a solid flywheel system were fitted then long term Engine or Transmission damage could occur,both far more expensive options than replacing the DMF.
I'm afraid In my book,after talking to people and musing about it over the weekend,the solid flywheel idea is a non-runner.
1) You need to limit torque takeup & shock to the transmission.
2) The DMF is designed to be harmonious with the engine,remembering we have two balence shafts in there.

Looking at the system logically and what the DMF does within the system,it becomes very apparent it should not be replaced with a solid flywheel system.

Just my take on it,but logic dictates.... Smile

Had the same failure on mine... was tempted to go the solid way but logic won!
1997 3.1TD 4JG2-T Auto to Manual convert

LTM 0098
diytrooper

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

nzomosky wrote:

Had the same failure on mine... was tempted to go the solid way but logic won!

In my case the 3.1 engine never had a DMF so there should be no issues with using the solid flywheel.

Recently I fitted a conversion kit for a vw car, it basically contained a solid flywheel and a clutch disk with springs in it, this is what made me think of doing this.

I'd love to know if there is a way to measure the effectiveness of a dmf against a clutch disk with springs in it. I can't say that I noticed any difference in the vw car, but maybe there is more going on under the covers.

In the trooper there was an improvement over the jumpy failing dmf, but no difference compared to how it was when the dmf was good.
nzomosky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the DMF makes the ride smoother due to damping of vibrations and is mainly for 3.0 M/T cars... I have noticed in the 3.0 Auto that the flywheel is not DMF.

I had the opportunity to test this at it failed like a week after the engine overhaul, clutch, pressure plate and release bearing were replaced.

The long term effects of not using a DMF are however not clear... maybe the M/T gearbox is sensitive?

LTM 0098
nzomosky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

LTM 0098
cpf456

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Just wondering how the flywheel is working in the 4x4? did you leave in the centre bits?
Regards
T
diytrooper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpf456 wrote:
Hi
Just wondering how the flywheel is working in the 4x4? did you leave in the centre bits?
Regards
T

Sorry havn't been on here in awhile... trooper going very well....  

I left the internals, mine was just beginning to go so there were no loose pieces... I think it would be very difficult to remove the insides and keep it reasonably balanced at the same time. I tried taking it a part but short of using the grinder it didn't look possible.

Still running great doing allot of heavy towing no problems so far...
docstrooper3.0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i have to replace my 3.1 engine after just 3000mls, took the head off and its cracked the joys of a second hand engine. have a spare so going to swap again as its £330 for new head and valves.  have a few questions about the flywheel getting solid,  what strength of bolt did you use and did you get it balanced and skimmed.  what clutch kit did you use ..........thanks
markymoan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3.1 has a solid flywheel  Confused

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

problem is mines converted so the spigot shaft wont mate with the 3litre box so gonna make flywheel solid
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned way back in the beginnings of the thread the Frontera 2.8 (4JB1) uses a DMF. Its not a common failure but they do go. The two accepted methods of fixing it are to get a replacement DMF or the alternative is to weld/bolt it solid, and then use the Trooper 3.1 sprung clutch plate kit. From reading the various posts/threads on this conversion no-one has had issues. Gear changes smooth, no vibration and holds out well when towing, driving normally, and serious off roading.

As mentioned, the DMF "absorbs" the initial shock when chaging gear or clutch engagement when pulling away, making things smoother and preventing shock through the transmission from sudden engagement. If the flywheel is solid then a sprung clutch plate is needed to simulate the same thing.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

diytrooper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

docstrooper3.0 wrote:
well i have to replace my 3.1 engine after just 3000mls, took the head off and its cracked the joys of a second hand engine. have a spare so going to swap again as its £330 for new head and valves.  have a few questions about the flywheel getting solid,  what strength of bolt did you use and did you get it balanced and skimmed.  what clutch kit did you use ..........thanks

Sorry I used to get an email when this tread updated, but doesn't seem to arrive anymore!

I think the bolts were 10.8, you'll need a cobalt bit to the drilling. I did not skim or balance the flywheel. I used the 3.0 pressure plate with the 3.1 clutch disk.
All you'll need to buy are the bolts, tap, drill bit and 3.1 clutch plate, all the rest is reused.

Good luck with it, you probably have it done at this point!!
giku

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the clutch plate from 4JG1 engine?
diytrooper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

diytrooper wrote:
Hi All,
     Just thought I'd add a possible cheaper solution to the failing dmf issue.
First off my trooper is a 3.0 converted to 3.1, but the flywheel and gearbox are the original 3.0 units.
My dmf was on the way out, so before it went completely I took the following action.

I removed the flywheel, removed the pressure plate and separated the driven plate from the dmf

I then drilled out the rivets holding the back of the dmf  together.

Next I drilled and tapped the Driven plate with an M10 Tap

Next using strong bolts I bolted the flywheel together.

I used 3.1 clutch disk which has the springs in it to relieve the pressure on the transmission.

I've done 2000 miles since, no problems, no rattles no vibrations, cost me 10 euro in bits and pieces.

Lets see how long it will last.

I got a pm asking a question about this recently, I managed to dig out the pictures from 2012 so here they are again, incase they are of help to someone.

The bolted set up is still going strong and has by all means been tortured with the work its used for.

neevamerk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:11    Post subject: Dual Mass Flywheel Failure. Reply with quote

This tread share useful information about dual mass flywheel failure. Thank you for sharing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: