2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Air or Water? Why does 4JX1 engine shakes when cold?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
troopermatter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:24    Post subject: Air or Water? Why does 4JX1 engine shakes when cold? Reply with quote

Hi,

After lots of issues now fixed, my 4JX1 engine runs "spot on", no doubt.

There's a mystery though that annoys me and it happens only when the weather is cold, let's say when the temperature is anything under 10° C.

At cold start, the engine cranks fine and starts right up within 2-3 sec. Then after about 30 sec running, it starts shaking as if there is either air or water condensation in the fuel lines and everything gets back to normal after about 10 sec, where I get a smooth running engine.

Air or water is what first comes to my mind anyway, considering no unsual smoke comes out the exhaust, with the exception it is slighty whitish and smells a little "strong" and then exhaust is as clear as cristal (can't even see any of it afterwards). But the exhaust emissions seem very like the ones on my E220 CDI at cold start in the morning, except that the engine doesn't shake.

Any thoughts please? Where should I start looking? Many thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Versatile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 18:39    Post subject: Shakey motor Reply with quote

I would suggets it's probably when the glow plugs stop working. They normally stay on for about 30 seconds after the motor has started.
I have a 3.1 conversion and a push button for the glow plugs. If I don't keep the heat in the plugs the motor will start to shake and visible smoke will emit from the exhaust.
This is the pennance for running on used chip oil. It doesn't like it cold but it's ok after a while.
troopermatter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry been busy working on my cv joints in this cold weather (1°) today  Sad
I've changed the glows 4 of 'em in April but again it used to do it before. It never did it when I bought the 4x4 4 years ago.. It only started shaking after start about 1 and 1/2 years ago and only didn't bother cause it only plays when it's cold outside and stops in mid spring / summer.

When it does shake and I press the gas, it gets even worse and a bit scary making knoks and not revving a it should. If I leave it shaking, it gets back to normal after a few seconds. One thing to mention, if I drive around for a while (I use it quite often), when I stop the engine it stops right still and do not shake at all and keeps really quite. Not sure I have a push button for the glows on my 3.0. While I'm on the drive shaft, I'll have a look at the fuel lines and see if I can spot any cracks.. If all ok, is there any chance I have condensation in the tank?
Versatile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. So probably not the same issues as me.

Unlikely to be condensate in the tank but it's easy enough to check. Let a little out of the tank drain into a jar. You'll know soon enough.

Might be a failing rubber cush in the motor supports ??
troopermatter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will look at that, thanks. In the mean time I'm doing cv shafts, rotors, all wheel bearings, ball joints and new knuckles on both sides. Have new MOT coming in January.
troopermatter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:22    Post subject: Problem sorted! Reply with quote

Engine shaking issue after start sorted!

Read a bulletin in OPEL / VAUXHALL GLOBAL TIS that describes exactly the problem and how to solve it:

Replace the fuel filter element! No more engine shake. Starts spot on and drives smooth.

I had a Isuzu black fuel filter (got it from Morocco and found out it was designed for Isuzu Trucks) and replaced it with Isuzu genuine silver one. That's it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: