All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

ROPCV replaced, now takes too long to start engine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
troopermatter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 20:08    Post subject: ROPCV replaced, now takes too long to start engine Reply with quote

Hi,

The trooper cut out on the motorway 2 days ago, failing to start again. Hopefully I had a new spare ROPCV that I managed to fit quite easily. After replacement of ROPCV, engine started after a few cranking cycles. But the next day, the engine would take 15 to 25 sec to start. I've tried many times and it is still the same. The engine does start but not before a lot of continuous cranking.

I can mention that the old ROPCV was stuck again (had cleaned it before without striping but engine started fine untill before yesterday).

The new ROPCV has a 27 mm nut instead of the 29 mm that the old one has. Does that make any difference? Also, pluged in the Tech 2 and the ROPCV shows 56 % instead of the 20ish spec mentioned in the manual. The pressure goes up to 70 % + under load (2500 RPM). One more thing, when I try to do a miscellaneous test on the ROPCV, by the time I press the F6 key, the engine cuts out straigh away, with a ROPCV pressure showing 20 %.

Please help me with this issue as trooper used to fire up within 1-2 seconds.

Cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 20:08    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

troopermatter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update...

Just double checked the Typical Data Values (IDLE and 2500 RPM), section 6E-42 4JX1-TC ENGINE DRIVEABILITY AND EMISSIONS of the manual.

So far, all values match when Tech 2 is connected and Data is displayed except for the ROPCV which Typical Values are 17-22 % at IDLE and 18-27 % at 2500 RPM.

The Data for my ROPCV on Tech 2 shows 56 % at IDLE and 76 % at 2500 RPM. So this proves the values to be wrong.

Any thoughts before I decide to drive the truck to Old Mills Motors as it is a long drive crossing through the channel please.

It did start this morning but again not after about 20 seconds cranking.

Cheers
eithan h

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrong valve i would think, I've had it before with a customer supplied one and that wouldn't start at all. the valve maxes out at about 85% so the higher the % the more duty ratio the ecu is giving it to keep the pressure right so unless you got a leak internal somewhere i would change the valve for a proper genuine version
troopermatter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you eithan for this reply. I am 100 % sure this long cranking need occured right after the valve swap. The reason I assume this is because even though the old valve failed, the engine started right away after I'd only cleaned it. Well, then the valve failed stuck again obviously due to wear.

For info, I got the new valve from China over eebuygum and the listing mentioned it was for "Ford 7.3 l V8 diesel powerstroke". But the valve looks EXACLTY the same. As you say, I will now look forward to getting a new genuine Isuzu one and go from there. However, I am still planning to head to Witney soon as I definitely need a few bits sorted with the truck and I've reached my limits on trying to fix the Trooper. Will give a call first anyway when I'm around in London, probably in the next two weeks.

Many thanks!
eithan h

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

had one today where the vehicle wouldn't start it would only generate about 2mpa of pressure but a sniff of brake cleaner and it would start and run ok with all readings looking good on tech2, took the valve out and could see the plunger wasn't right so fitted a new valve and starts first time now.
troopermatter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good news for the owner  Very Happy

When I have a chance as it's been raining all day long today, I'll remove the clone valve and post a picture of it here. I'm pretty sure it's the wrong valve from what I could see. The contact surface where the tread starts is smaller and it needs a 27 mm wrench, unlike the genuine one that is 29 mm.

If you don't mind me asking another question, why does the engine cut out immediately after selecting the F6 Rail presure control valve on Tech2? It does not when I do a injector balance test or control. Mistery? Or the Tech2 detects it's a wrong valve?
ivcho.vd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

troopermatter wrote:
Thank you eithan for this reply. I am 100 % sure this long cranking need occured right after the valve swap. The reason I assume this is because even though the old valve failed, the engine started right away after I'd only cleaned it. Well, then the valve failed stuck again obviously due to wear.

For info, I got the new valve from China over eebuygum and the listing mentioned it was for "Ford 7.3 l V8 diesel powerstroke". But the valve looks EXACLTY the same. As you say, I will now look forward to getting a new genuine Isuzu one and go from there. However, I am still planning to head to Witney soon as I definitely need a few bits sorted with the truck and I've reached my limits on trying to fix the Trooper. Will give a call first anyway when I'm around in London, probably in the next two weeks.

Many thanks!

I guess you installed that

This is the Ford F Series IPR.It's kind of the same, but it's not about Trooper (I've tried it myself).
Clean up by dismantling the old one, or find an original one.

Greetings.
troopermatter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fiited like the one in the bottom picture exactly. Top picture is to show the contact surface. If you look at the O-rings, they're not ne same color. And it is a 27 mm wrench. I got it from China. Yours looks pretty much like the Isuzu one, I'd have thought it worked better.

ivcho.vd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

troopermatter wrote:
I fiited like the one in the bottom picture exactly. Top picture is to show the contact surface. If you look at the O-rings, they're not ne same color. And it is a 27 mm wrench. I got it from China. Yours looks pretty much like the Isuzu one, I'd have thought it worked better.

As you wrote above, it works at a higher percentage rate. Eithan told you what could come of it.
Mine engine started immediately, but it worked like two cylinders with a lot of vibration.
troopermatter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update.

Genuine ORPCV installed today and off we go! Trooper starts on the spot and is back on the road again.

This forum is a gold mine.
eithan h

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

got one in at the minute with one of those 27mm versions fitted, apparently when it was first fitted it was fine but then started to cut out until the point it wouldn't start. looking on tech 2 it couldn't quite make enough oil pressure and with a sniff of something to get it to fire up it wouldn't idle, with a fast tick over speed the orcv was reading 30% which is to high and when the artificial help that was keeping it running was taken away the % went up to 85 and it stalled. so for what ever reason it can't supply enough oil to keep the engine running.
troopermatter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I forgot to say, that 27 mm one plunger got trapped in the hpop! The whole thing was hard to unscrew but when it did, the "trumpet" like bit stayed in the hpop. By chance I pryed it with a grip and even needed to make lever against the hpop surface to get that thing off! It just flew out and haven't got a clue of where it ended up. Thought it was behind the starter motor but hey, it's not. Searched everywhere behind the pipes squeezed my hands everywhere I could but no way could I see it. Mystery really.

The lessons I've learnt from the 4JX1 engine so far are: Get it serviced on time and have exclusively GENUINE parts fitted in that motor![u]
troopermatter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

an old thread..but my 2 cents;
I am using the china clone, been using it in other troopers as well, no problems and no higher values. around 19% at idle.
If the trumpet of your clone fell off - that was the reason for your problems..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: