QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

runs well but not start to good

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pintail

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 18:35    Post subject: runs well but not start to good Reply with quote

Hi guys,  I have posted this before  but I may have posted this in the wrong forum so I will try here, looking for some help please, I 'am having problems starting a 3.0 L 2004 trooper with a 135k miles on it. First a bit of history, the glow plugs have not worked for about 6 years but the engine has always started with a little bit of white smoke which clears after about 10 sec's. Last week while out driving the engine cut out for about 5 sec's then restarted it's self as it was still in gear. Next day the engine just cranked over & over for ages before it started, once started all was well all day. Next day same again just kept cranking over & before it started & now it was cutting out as till it was warm. I changed the fuel filter but it did not help the starting problem, but the engine ran a lot lot better. So today when it did not start I tried the white wire trick, cranked it over hopping it start but loads of white smoke was coming out of the exhaust & it did not start, reconnected the white wire & cranked it over & over again for ages then it started & I drove it home. So my question is it seems that it is not the ORPS so could it be the RPCV. One more thing while the engine is cranking over the oil light goes out & there is oil pressure showing on the gauge.

Many thanks.

Pintail.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 18:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

pintail

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I have posted this twice.

pintail.
eithan h

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be the orcv i've had one this week with long cranking which was due to the orcv, also fit some clear filters to rule out air being sucked in somewhere. have you go the right oil in it?
pintail

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

eithan h wrote:
could be the orcv i've had one this week with long cranking which was due to the orcv, also fit some clear filters to rule out air being sucked in somewhere. have you go the right oil in it?

Hi thanks for coming back to me, the oil is the right grade but last changed about 5000 miles ago so  I'm having the oil & filters changed on Tuesday & a new ORCV fitted as he has one kicking about. Today the engine just kept turning over & over fr ages then I heard it change note then 2/3 secs later it started, I will let you know how it is later in the week.

many thanks.
 Pintail.

PS. Where are you getting the clear filters from.
woodman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had the same problem with my 2004 3.0lt Trooper,cranking for two long then changing note and starting.
Tried everything. Tec2 said No.1 injector down so put another in,no difference.Took the ORCV apart and cleaned it, still no difference (there was a bit of muck in it)
Took the sump off and the pick up pipe was full of sealer etc,cleaned it and put new seal on, no difference.
Starting to pull my hair out at this point, but once it started it run perfectly.
In desperation I decided to check the glow plugs that were fitted new just over a year ago and two of them were not working.
Fitted fresh ones and it's back to starting great again.
I think a lot of the aftermarket stuff gets you going but in the long term is rubbish.
Hope this helps.
I've had the 3.0lt Troopers on and off for the last 23 years and when they're working they are great.
I bought a new Citation in 2002 and hardly had a problem with it,but I know they can be trouble if you don't look after them properly.
troopermatter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodman wrote:
Just had the same problem with my 2004 3.0lt Trooper,cranking for two long then changing note and starting.
Tried everything. Tec2 said No.1 injector down so put another in,no difference.Took the ORCV apart and cleaned it, still no difference (there was a bit of muck in it)
Took the sump off and the pick up pipe was full of sealer etc,cleaned it and put new seal on, no difference.
Starting to pull my hair out at this point, but once it started it run perfectly.
In desperation I decided to check the glow plugs that were fitted new just over a year ago and two of them were not working.
Fitted fresh ones and it's back to starting great again.
I think a lot of the aftermarket stuff gets you going but in the long term is rubbish.
Hope this helps.
I've had the 3.0lt Troopers on and off for the last 23 years and when they're working they are great.
I bought a new Citation in 2002 and hardly had a problem with it,but I know they can be trouble if you don't look after them properly.

You probably read my topics about my endless issues. Well, as eithen suggested (and he was % right), I swapped the ORCV with a genuine one which fixed my starting issues.
However, if the Trooper now starts fine, the very first morning start is not as perfect as I expect it to be. A few seconds after starting, it now shakes again, which is very annoying in the end. It does take quite a few miles' drive for it to stabilize and runs a smooth engine. But before that, it's like tractor. I do think there must be something wrong with the fuel supply. To me (I'm no expert) it does sound and smell like there is air or water in the fuel line at some point. Because after it has warmed up a few miles, the engine is so smooth, does not shake and shuts down straight and stable. I don't really know what to do to fix this. I'm just wondering whether I should change the fuel filter housing where the primer pump is. I dunno really, starting to get fed up. Any suggestion is more than welcome.
woodman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

To eliminate any air or fuel issues, the best thing to do is bypass all the filter etc.You get a can with fuel in it.Put a fresh clear line from the can straight into the main feed.Takes a bit to start up,but then you will eliminate tank/lines and filter air problems.
If it's Ok then leave it overnight all connected up.Start it in the morning.If it starts and runs fine then move the pipe along until you find the problem.
If the problem is still there you know it's not the fuel system and is on the engine side.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: