QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

4JX fuel priming

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dafydd Wynn Williams
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 18:12    Post subject: 4JX fuel priming Reply with quote

Hi all.
Since turning off the 'ignition' cuts off the fuel to stop the engine, I assume it is necessary to have the 'ignition' switched on in order to successfully prime/bleed the supply via the priming pump on the filter housing after changing the filter.  Is this correct?

I am having difficulty in getting any flow from the bleed screw on the filter housing in response to the priming pump. and the engine performance has dropped off noticeably, struggling to maintain 60mph on hills.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Dafydd  WW
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 18:12    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Malcolm
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never has the ignition on for priming the fuel filter. You are only trying to get any air out of the filter. The rest of the system should stay primed.
Did you fill the new filter with fresh diesel befor fitting it ?
I normaly remove both pipes (mark them so you get them back on the right conections) then remove the 2 screws holding the priming pump in position. You can then remove the lot to a vice and remove the old filter then
fill the new filter to the brim before fitting it. All I do is  fit it back to the vehicle and replace the pipes. Just give the hand primer a few pumps till it feels firm and away you go.
Sounds to me like you may be sucking air in somewhere. These are renowned for coroded pipes above the tank.  Sad
Dafydd Wynn Williams
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 22:11    Post subject: 4jx fuel priming Reply with quote

Hi Malcolm

Tank was renewed about 5 years back and all was well afterwards.  In last couple of years diesel was leaking from the system when running and eventually local garage agreed to attend to it, but after inspecting on the lift decided easiest course was to replace corroded and leaking metal fuel line(s) with 'rubber' pipe from tank to filter.

I didn't fill the new filter cartridge with diesel before fitting. but it starts and runs OK, but is definitely down on power.  Only done 102K and had it 15 years.  Engine Check now on all the time with or without 'white wire' connected.

Not confident central locking is not playing up again ??

Dafydd   WW
Malcolm
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would struggle to prime the filter if you put it on empty. I would try dropping it off again to make sure its full. If it isnt full, fill it up to the brim before putting it back.
Dafydd Wynn Williams
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 13:05    Post subject: 4jx fuel priming Reply with quote

Hi

As I cannot get the priming pump to a hard state, I did some searching on here and found a (old) post from David's J99P in Sep 2011 describing the concave in genuine and convex inner screw plate  in non-genuine filters.

I bought mine from Milners but find exactly that. the Milner filter is a FUJITOYO with convex plate whereas the old genuine ISUZU filter has a concave plate, which allows the sealing ring to fully contact its seating and eliminate air passage.

Where can I get a genuine ISUZU fuel filter by post?  I am 35 miles fro the ISUZU dealers hereabouts and in lockdown. Does Oldmill supply by post?

Dafydd  WW
Malcolm
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obvious andswer is good old eebuygum.
I allways use Blue print. never had an issue.
Malcolm
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.eebuygum.co.uk/itm/Blue-Print-Fuel-Filter-ADZ92304-BRAND-NEW-GENUINE/163098906589?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D226063%26meid%3D69c4ca7a80574c31b5d5999f0d6617a2%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpf%26sd%3D123827674532%26itm%3D163098906589%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithBBEV1Demotion%26brand%3DBlue+Print&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
Malcolm
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get it sorted ?????
Dafydd Wynn Williams
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 11:12    Post subject: 4jx fuel priming Reply with quote

Hi Malcolm,

Haven't actually done anything yet, am 'shielded' due to age (81) and diabetes, so haven't used Trooper for weeks and seems this will continue.  Will endeavour to get a genuine Isuzu branded filter as I suspect the one fitted is not sealing correctly. Not possible to measure with a gauge but judge the distance between the sealing gasket and the convex screwed fixing plate on the new filter is about 4mm whereas the distance on the old genuine concave Isuzu filter is 6/7mm. thus allowing the filter to be screwed up further and making a proper seal.

As I said the Troop starts OK but  lacks ultimate power, which was sudden and coincided with the filter replacement.  Assume the present filter must be full or nearly so or it wouldn't run, but can't get any flow out of the priming bleed screw using the priming pump which is puzzling.

I will report back when all this lockdown is hopefully is over.

Dafydd  WW
Malcolm
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the main thing is that you stay safe. As you say, the trooper can wait.
wilf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have used blueprint for years - no problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: