2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Trooper Alternator? / Charging issue - Advice please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lordgaz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 17:15    Post subject: Trooper Alternator? / Charging issue - Advice please Reply with quote

Hi All
I am trying to identify what has happened to my Trooper - All running fine until today when I ran it for a short time, stopped it, and when I went to start it again the battery had no oomph to crank. I started it with a 12v booster and noticed the voltmeter on the dash was reading a flat 0V - No charging.
The batteries should be fine (both showing their glowing green indicators)
So I suspect the alternator and wondered if these following tests confirm the problem is indeed the alternator - or if there is anything else to consider (eg. the blue charging relay as I am not getting a battery warning light on the dash with this issue)

1 - With engine running - Checked the voltage of the batteries - They were 12v ish and dropping - Revving the engine made no difference
2 - I disconnected the +ve cable output from the alternator, and then with the engine running, checked for the voltage from the +ve voltage post of the alternator to ground - it was showing about 5v, but I am unsure if this is an indicator of a unit failure as there is no load
3 - I would like to test the blue relay, but I am unsure of which pins to apply +ve and -ve to check for a click. Old posts in the forum have expired images so hard to tell (could anyone help indicate which pins on the below diagram?)

If the blue relay is faulty, would there be clues / lights? Would it prevent the dash voltmeter from working?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 17:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

lordgaz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weirdly, having removed the blue relay to have a look at the part code, I refitted it, and now when I start the trooper, the dash voltmeter is showing a reading (about 13v when running) and the engine revs change when I turn on the blower fan, and lights - I am also getting 13v>14v at the battery terminals -
So - what do you think has happened?
I'm going to charge the batteries overnight, and then have a fresh look in the morning to see if this issue has resolved itself, but I am a little concerned it happened in the first place.
robskylad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having something similar going to try and test relay later did yours remain OK??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: