Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

YES, IT'S THAT ***** AUTO SHIFTING THANG AGAIN!

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giannitech

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

any of you guys have an idea what a flashing O/D off light means it just suddenly appears after like a 3KM drive,

thank you!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 15:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

ealderton

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

WE had a 94 troooper with the same behaviour.  

Panicked when asked to overtake - nothing wrong with it, just sensitive for such a large vehicle

Best thing we found

Switch off the overdrive button (it was an automatic) and make it drop gear to '3rd'

GENTLY, very very gently accelerate (to prevent further drop to 2nd)

Cruise past in a calm and dignified manner, but allow extra space of course!  This does not overtake like a car

Had to change my whole driving head to be a calm, gentle, soft driver.
XtraSmallBighorn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great read for a new member.

Soooo after 15 years since this thread started has anyone managed to find a way to address the same issue but in the EFI drive by wire bighorn? I don’t believe you could adjust the TPS (or APS as some have called it) in the same manner as it directly controls the fuel pump which is why it’s glued in position I assume. What about the kick-down cable that goes to the gearbox? What is it’s purpose? And can adjusting this have any effect?

My Bighorn is a lovely old thing but alas still suffers from the dreaded early kick down or more acutely put the early un locking of the torque converter clutch. When you’re driving in converter lock it’s a pleasure but when unlocked it’s all noise and nothing else.
ealderton

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am definitely NOT a mechanic, just a driver really (although I now know a lot more about 4wd mechanisms, fuel pumps, hoses etc. etc. than I did!!)  We find the best thing is when you want to 'quickly' go faster, flick the overdrive off so that it drops to 3rd gear.  Then unflick it when you're done.  Put another way, do a bit of manual shifting before the vehicle does it itself

Keep calm, leave lots of space!
XtraSmallBighorn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ealderton and greetings from NZ.

I myself am no mechanic but enjoy the odd bit if tinkering. I agree with your “keep calm” strategy and have adopted a slower pace of life since becoming a Bighorn owner. I find clicking the OD off works well for hill climbs and towing but I just wish I could ride that torque a little longer in top gear before the converter unlocks.

I have given up on overtaking other cars and you know what? Life is much cruiser. 🤙
ealderton

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main thing is be completely obsessed with any rust in the chassis.  And also the oil in the gearbox.  Otherwise no real problems!  Enjoy that torque uphill and leave the others behind (unless they are high performance of course!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17

Jump to: