All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Car Horn Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clive

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 20:29    Post subject: Car Horn Problem Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Can anyone out there help me first off, I’m not talking about an Isuzu Trooper but I think the issue I’ve got is more than likely much the same for one car as another, so hopefully someone on this forum can help, incidentally I do own a Trooper.

I’m talking about an old Vauxhall Omega and I’ve tried leaving a post on the omegaowners website and got one reply, “Sounds like a stray wire behind the fuse box or in the steering column”.
I’ve looked and can’t see any stray wires.

The problem is the horns started blasting away and would not shut off, to begin with I disconnected the battery neg which stopped them, but after reconnecting and after a few minutes I had the same problem but not every time so its intermittent.

Driving along in the car I pressed the horn button only to have them stick on again as I was on the road, I didn’t want to disconnect the battery besides I don’t think it’s a good idea to drive with the battery disconnected, so I removed the horn relay which shut them up.

When I got back home, I noticed another weird thing, the cars onboard display would not turn off after taking the ignition key out, but the stupid thing is if I pull the horn relay out the display works perfectly ie. comes on when ignition key is inserted and goes off when removed.

On the Omega there is a power sounder which goes off if someone tries to disconnect the battery or horns for the purpose of breaking into the car.
I read the self-contained batteries of the sounder can reach the end of their life and can lead to issues and from what I’ve read on the Omega forum most people have removed the power sounder which I’ve already done.

I’m not really that clued up on car electrics but was thinking if the horn relay was at fault would the car horns either sound all the time or not sound at all depending on how the relay had failed and why does it affect the in-car display unit.

I’m lost so if someone can suggest anything, I could try I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks

Clive
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 20:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DYLAN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

It usually turns out to be a dodgy bonnet or boot switch setting the alarm off.

2002 S-TYPE JAGUAR 3.0 SPORT
Clive

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Dylan

I'll have a look on the net to see if there's a video clip on testing them.
DYLAN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just try to adjust them so the make a little more contact with the door and bonnet, They're usually adjustable.

2002 S-TYPE JAGUAR 3.0 SPORT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: