All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

My first trooper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wong

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 19:50    Post subject: My first trooper Reply with quote

Hi! . I recently bought my first trooper, a 1990 five speed manual Special edition (whatever that means). It says on the sticker in the engine compartment that has a 2,6 L engine, but the good ol boy who sold it to me told me they had changed the engine for a newer one, and it's a 2,3 L. I don't now how to verify which engine it is. What I can say is that it's an inline 4 cylinder motor with ITEC injection. I knew it had some problems that needed fixing but got a promise that it had a good motor, and that it would make the ride home (about 500 miles). Well, turns out the engine was running real good, but the fuel pump (el cheaparino china model) was NOT. So had real bad fuel pressure, I could drive about 10 miles before taking a 5 minute brake. Found a guy on our equivalent of craigs list who sold some good ole volvo parts (he was close the road I was driving) so I called him and asked if I could borrow some tools if I bought the fuel pump he was selling. Turned out he had a well equipped garage. So I jacked up the trooper on his gravel drive way late in the evening, ripped out the old fuel pump, had a look on the "new" pump from a scrapped Volvo 740 (about the same engine size, a pump's a pump's a pump), off course the fittings were all wrong, made some makeshift adapters out of copper tubing and tubes and what have you. All good to go. Except that it didn't work. Ripped it out, started to install the old one. My better half who was with me started checking out hotels and taxis... Suddenly the seller came back yelling that the "new" pump actually worked, it was just missing a washer in the electrical terminal. Wooooo! In with the pump, again, gave it a bit of current from a battery, managed to get the trooper started with some help from another car. And away we went. In the middle of the night. The seller still just wanted $30 for the fuel pump. Instills hope in humanity, doesn't it. The poor guy gave me about 3 hours of his life, lent me his tools, made weird adapters and whatnot. I invited him down to my place whenever he wants, he can borrow my guest house or our boat or whatever he wishes, after the 'rona is gone).

Anyway, here are some urgent problems I need to fix to pass vehicle inspection:

* Rear brake hydraulic tube (can't find any spec for it, if someone could give length and what connectors I can just buy one after work)

* Exhaust pipe. I need to see the original routing, and fittings. The way it was when I bought it was very much jerry rigged, and the duct tape they'd used just before the cat ripped, so I had to have earplugs for 500 miles. Nice one.

* The front (big) cab fastener thingys are gone, rusted away. Does anybody have measurements and/or photos of those? I need to manufacture new.

* The left part of the frame needs patching, easy done by myself

* Fuel tank leaks. From an ocular inspection it seems as the current fuel tank is a goner. Is there any new (original, performance or OEM) available? Or is there anybody who has done major overhauls on a fuel tank?

* Parking brake tension, easy enough to fix by myself

I have a few other questions that I'm trying to find answers to:

* Best way to lift the cab a few inches to be able to rust proof the frame

* How to address the rust on the fenders. Buy new panels? Is there any fenders only available to weld in? Or manufacture new fenders myself?

* CST probe, how can I change that easily without having to rip the engine apart?

Thank you very much for your time.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 19:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: