4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

1993 3.1TD auto - flashing O/D light ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dconnrt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 18:10    Post subject: 1993 3.1TD auto - flashing O/D light ? Reply with quote

Hi,

A week ago or so my 1993 3.1TD LWB automatic trooper (a "Bighorn" import) developed a strange intermittent gearbox problem:

It feels like overdrive is kicking in and out (RPM up and down) and then the O/D light in front of the gear selector flashes on and off but it flashes on and off in a neat diagnostic type way rather than a flickering bad connection type way so I'm pretty sure it must be trying to say something.  I'm not sure if there is a pattern to the number of flashes or not.

I've been reading through posts on this forum about similar issues (and mentions of speed sensors, etc) but nothing seems quite the same (in particular the flashing O/D light).

Has anyone here come across something like this?

I'm a bit worried that my gearbox is packed in as the car is probably too old to be worth the potential gearbox replacement bill.

thanks for any help!

Derek
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 18:10    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

markymoan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the fluid for level and colour, it should be as it comes from the bottle a nice pinky red, if its brown it needs replacing,
Some have also changed the filter in the gearbox and that worked.
Theres a thread in here with step by step instructions on how to do it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

markymoan wrote:
if its brown it needs replacing

Hi,

I've just checked it:  The level is OK but the colour is most definitely brown.  I'll pickup ATF tomorrow and change the fluid and see if it makes a difference.  Fingers crossed.

thanks very much

Derek
markymoan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have to do it several times as half is in the torque converter, you have to change whats in then run it and repeat until its the right colour, sadly thats about 2 gallons of the stuff  Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - I changed the auto box's ATF today and and almost used 10 Litres.  I drained and filled in 2 litre volumes and, in between, I took the vehicle for a drive up and down the road to mix up the fluid.

Initially the fluid was really dark and had a nasty smell.  After the final fill I found it difficult to get the fluid level right on the dipstick because the new fluid was, while pink, almost see-through on the dipstick.

Anyway I have no change to my "intermittent flashing O/D light" problem.  I'm also finding that the overdrive disables on its own just as if I had pressed the "O/D disable" button on the drive select.  Other wise no funny sounds or anything from the gearbox.

Is there any way to find out what the flashing O/D light means?

I am concerned by the dark ATF - until checking the other day on all previous checks the fluid had not been that dark (so maybe by auto box has some major problems).  But is there any other things (sensor faults, etc) that can cause the O/D to disable and the O/D light to flash on and off (usually for between 7 and 14 flashes).  Note: my speedo is working perfectly it would appear.

thanks,

Derek
dconnrt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - I changed the auto box's ATF today and and almost used 10 Litres.  I drained and filled in 2 litre volumes and, in between, I took the vehicle for a drive up and down the road to mix up the fluid.

Initially the fluid was really dark and had a nasty smell.  After the final fill I found it difficult to get the fluid level right on the dipstick because the new fluid was, while pink, almost see-through on the dipstick.

Anyway I have no change to my "intermittent flashing O/D light" problem.  I'm also finding that the overdrive disables on its own just as if I had pressed the "O/D disable" button on the drive select.  Other wise no funny sounds or anything from the gearbox.

Is there any way to find out what the flashing O/D light means?

I am concerned by the dark ATF - until checking the other day on all previous checks the fluid had not been that dark (so maybe by auto box has some major problems).  But is there any other things (sensor faults, etc) that can cause the O/D to disable and the O/D light to flash on and off (usually for between 7 and 14 flashes).  Note: my speedo is working perfectly it would appear.

thanks,

Derek
giannitech

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

also having this flashing O/D off light on my bighorn is this a major concern?
richiewelsh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever fix the "jumping out of overdrive" problem???
If so how, mine does the same....
elmataharrak

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

This problem may be related to a common fault of imported bighorns of the 90s which is the TPS(throttle position sensor).
Try jumping the end pins of the connector socket found under the mid console, from the drivers side. im sure there is plenty of info on this form explaining how to read fault codes.

Thanks
richiewelsh

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi elmataharrak
I thought the TPS was the thing on top of the injector pump with 3 wires going to it.
Can you please let me know about "jumping the end pins".in the console...
Do I permanently jump them and this may solve the problem? do I still need the TPS connected or disconnected???
I have 4 bighorns with this issue, one I changed the gearbox oil in and after a month or so it started using overdrive again for the last 5 months. Recently it jumped out a few times at random, I'm waiting to see if it does it again.
2 of them I've taken off the road because of this issue so not bothered fixing them.
One other started doing it then the head gasket went. I'm going to swap an engine from one of the other ones into it soon and I was hoping a gearbox oil change would fix this problem.  
Any more advice is very much appreciated.
Thanks Richie...
RogerDS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

elmataharrak wrote:
This problem may be related to a common fault of imported bighorns of the 90s which is the TPS(throttle position sensor).
Try jumping the end pins of the connector socket found under the mid console, from the drivers side. im sure there is plenty of info on this form explaining how to read fault codes.

Thanks

Have you tried that jumping the pins trick before?
richiewelsh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I thought the TPS was on top of the pump. (though obviously the wires go somewhere else, like to the gearbox).
Can you let me know any more advoce on this please
cheers Richie...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: