QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Steering Wheel Play in the Vertical Plain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clive

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 22:15    Post subject: Steering Wheel Play in the Vertical Plain Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Can someone out there help, its rather urgent as my Trooper has failed the mot and I need it back on the road as soon as possible.

I was told there is up and down free play in the steering wheel, I’ve stripped the plastic trim off ie the plastic cowl which lives just under the steering wheel and the bit above it.

With that removed I can see two bolts, one has a hexagon head, the other looks like some sort of anti-tamper screw ie.  just a mushroom shaped head, no screwdriver slot or hex. head and it’s this one which is allowing a slight up and down movement.
The bolts in question secures the ignition switch and I assume the steering lock to the column.

How can I get it out to replace it with an ordinary hexagon head screw, I’d like to do it without having to remove the steering wheel, airbag and the stork switches if possible?

If I do have to take the steering wheel off, can anyone suggest a suitable puller ie. someone who has used one and know it works on the Trooper as I know there are a lot of different ones on the market but not all are suitable.
I guess I don’t want to have the problem of sending one back after I’ve purchased it if it's wrong.

Thanks to anyone who can help

Clive

I would post a photo of the screws in question but I always seem to get in a mess and end up posting my email address instead, the host site I'v'e been using is Google.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 22:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

eithan h

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you take the weight of the steering wheel with your knees you can normally use the end of the screwdriver working the edge of the bolt to unscrew it, takes me about 5 mins to do the whole job.
Clive

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eithan

Thank you for your reply.  
I’ve already done exactly as you’ve said and put a normal bolt in, I’ll live with the fact it’s not an anti-tamper type.  
I have to admit I’ve not seen one like that before ie. just a smooth domed head.
Normally they are shaped to be tightened with a tool but in this case the head was dead smooth, I guess the manufactures must have had some means of screwing them in.

Eithan is it just me, but I was expecting to be burning the midnight oil reading through all the replies, thinking loads of people would done some sort of work on the column replacing the electrical storks or worn-out ignition switches.
I didn’t even get a reply as to what anyone used to get the steering wheel off, not that I had to in the end.

Is everyone getting rid of their diesels, I know one guy who must been an avid watcher of the forum “Gribble”, but no nothing.

Just thought I’d ask if you had any ideas on what’s happening and thanks again for getting back to me.

Clive
eithan h

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is what isuzu call a shear of bolt in that when it's new it has a hexagon on the top of it attached by a thin sort of neck in the centre which when it reaches a set torque then shears off leaving the domed head that you see. theres not normally a lot of call to remove the steering wheel anyway the switches and indicators are pretty reliable but the clock spring is known to go wrong which requires steering wheel removal.
a lot of people have migrated over to facebook now as there is an owners page on there run by the itocuk but this site is a goldmine for information where as facebook it tends to move down the page and gets forgotten quickly.
i'm sure someone on here said that gribble was no longer with us anymore hence he hasn't posted
Clive

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I hadn't thought of a shear off head screw, I know they do exist.

I must get around to opening a facebook account even if it's only to have a look at the itoc site.

Thanks again

Clive
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: