4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

4 wheel drive????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
citation

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 17:29    Post subject: 4 wheel drive???? Reply with quote

hi

first time posting in this group Smile

i have a 3.0 diesel with turbo i think with 2 high and 4 low and a button on the dash that says 4WD, what is the button for?

and this truck has absolutely no pulling power! its *beep*, un reliable etc

i also have a 3.1D i think its got a turbo, most reliable truck weve had, i unfortunately broke the gearbox (not sure what broke) it sat up in my field for 8 months and was stuck in 2nd gear, we were going to scrap it but it had been such an honest truck so i bought a new gearbox for £180 fitted it myself works great! it has 2 high, 2 low and 4 low i believe or 2 high, 4 high and 4 low somewhere across those lines, and a 4WD button on the dash, what does this button do? its just bugging me because i mounted spotlights to my bull bar, and i have that one switch i dont know what it does :/ in 4 wheel drive it takes quite a lot of revs to get going then it feels like your almost pushing the front wheels along! is this normal?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 17:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Gribble

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

One for you Mr B .
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Lots of confusion and anger here.

Firstly like all japanese 4x4's the Trooper/Bighorn is a part time 4wd vehicle. Which means it is driven in 2wd until you actually need 4wd. Unlike Land Rovers e don't have a centre differential. That means the front wheels will be turning the same speed as the rears when 4wd is engaged. Bad news if your driving on tarmac as you will eventually end up breaking drive train or transmission components as the fronts like to turn faster than the rears when cornering. Also if you do persist in driving in 4wd in conditions that aren't slippery the drivetrain will build up tortional starin in axles, propshafts, transfer boxes, cv joints, hubs etc. Eventually this strain will be released, and often causing breakages, but leading up to it you will start to notice that the truck will struggle to move/turn.

Now the 4wd drive button does what it says .. turns on the 4wd. Press the button and a light will appear on the dash. Press it again and the light will go out. You will be in 4wd when its switched on.

As for the levers.

Your old 3.1 will have 2 High, 4 High, and 4 Low.

Your 3.0 will have the button to engage the 4wd. Then the lever by your left knee will then be allowed to move from 4 High to 4 Low.

What ever you do DON'T switch from 4 High to 4 Low while moving. That will break things for sure.

Your 3.0 has a Shift On The Fly (SOTF) system. This means you can arm the 4wd system safely up to speeds of 40 mph, and disengage it. This means as your drinving you can flick the 4wd system on as and when you need it i.e. when you hit large expanses of ice, you get stuck in a field etc etc

Careful driving means that you won't need 4wd all the time, and being in 2wd saves fuel and wear on the truck. I have very rarely ever needed to put my truck into 4wd on the road, or even when driving off road in flat fields. I have the right tyres on that give great grip.

As for you power issues with the 3.0 that could be anything. You haven't described anything at all that could lead to a theory of the issue ... that is of course discounting you have been driving in 4wd on the road and wound the system up.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

Browndoff

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why Mr. Gribble thought of me............?

Anyway:-

[1]  The 4JX1 3.0Litre Engine is VERY powerful - 118kW! If yours seems weak - it's FAULTY. If you supply us with enough of the 'symptoms' the 'doctors' on here will help you cure the patient!

[2]  The dashboard 4WD button turns on an electrical control system which shifts the gearbox/powertrain into four wheel drive.

The first stage turns on a small DC-motor which shifts a lever in the Transfer-Box to connect the Front Drive-Shaft to the Gearbox. When the little Position-Switch tells the 4WD-Controller that this is done, it turns OFF the power to the solenoids on the front axle which allows the Vacuum-System to push the 4WD-Actuator on the front axle to connect the Left Half-Shaft to the Front Differential. Then the front axle's Position-Switch tells the 4WD-Controller that the change into 4WD is complete and the little tell-tale light settles down to a steady glow.

[3]  The second Gear-Lever becomes usable ONLY after the Transfer-Box has connected the Front Drive-Shaft to the Gearbox. It moves the gears within the Transfer-Box to reduce the  drive-ratio even further for maximum power to all four wheels when you really need it!

BE AWARE - you MUST NOT put the car into 4WD in any situation where there is 'good traction'. IT NEEDS to be able to slip the wheels as it goes around any bends - otherwise the powertrain 'winds-up' like a torsion-spring! That's really quite dangerous - at best, it releases with a nasty BANG - at worst, something in the powertrain will BREAK!
drfloxy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Rhanagar"]Wow. Lots of confusion and anger here.

Firstly like all japanese 4x4's

My Mitsubishi can be left in 4wd with no damage on tarmac? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: