QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

directory paths - or something!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Computer Bytes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dafydd Wynn Williams
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 22:46    Post subject: directory paths - or something! Reply with quote

Markymoan,

A question for you, as someone who seems to know about these things, or anyone else who can add an intelligent two-penneth.

Since so very few of my age are left I am doing my best to compile a family ancestry record, using a Church of the Latter-day Saints free programme. It has the ability to link to photos to ‘person entries’.

After adding all the information I can, including photos of people, houses, gravestones etc, I then intend to pass it around to relatives so that they may also add to it, in rotation, one at a time, so that only one ‘master’ version is being added to. I am planning to circulate the package by memory stick, memory card, or if necessary an external hard drive.

My problem relates to linking and paths. In my ignorance I assumed that so long as the Photos folder was a sub-folder of the Individuals Information (Paf4-see below) folder the links from the Individuals folder would always work. However I now believe that the location of the Photos folder will remain as at present ( C: \Documents and Settings\Dafydd\My Documents\Family Search\Paf4\Photos\Gravestones\family name ) as far as the Paf4 file knows and unless my relations also set up exactly the same folders and thus path, the Paf4 database will not find the photos.

Is this correct?

Will I have to move the Photos folder to a ‘direct from C:’ position so that my relations can position it similarly?

Assuming I have to re-link the photos using their new position after moving them, is there any way of doing this as a batch or must it be done individually?

Apologies if the above is not clear, and it probably isn’t, and if I can clarify anything please ask. I am running XP.

Apologies for being so dumb.

Dafydd.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 22:46    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

markymoan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

They cant share from your HDD, go to www.photobucket.com and upload to there, you can make public or send people single pics just by linking Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mark, the best way to do this is to use an online photo host like photobucket and direct the database to there. There are other good family history software programmes available. I bought my mum one a few years ago as she's been researching our family for about ten years now and some do allow you to include photos within their database.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Dafydd Wynn Williams
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Mark, I didnt explain fully enough.

I was not expecting my relatives to have access to my internal hard drive. What I planned to do was to circulate what I hoped would be a complete package of all they needed to open and run the programme as I am doing, i.e. provide them with the Programme files, Information input/record files and a folder with the pics in it.

All this would be either on a cd, a memory stick, or even a dedicated usb external hard drive, circulated around by post.

My problem is that the considerable number of pics already linked in, although in a sub-directory to their main record file, currently have a location and directory path which contains several steps which my relatives wont have. I have now realized this flaw, but am wondering if there is any alternative to the time consuming job of individually re-linking each of the very many pics using a new (shortened and working) path.

I am too far down the line to start using a different programme, there's dozens of hours typing gone into it already!

I would be very hesitant to rely on a'third party' facility (photobucket) to enable the complete data to be accessed. Progress?? in the IT world isn't famed for its long-term attention to backward compatability. From a point of view of still being accessible in years to come, which is what this is all about after all, I am placing my confidence in the Mormons, who I am hoping , have sufficient clout to ensure their programme still works as long as there are PCs about.

Hope this clarifies my predicament,

Dafydd.
markymoan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right then, i assume you have free webspace from your isp, you could upload all the files as one to that then provide them with a link to it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive thrown something together on mine to illustrate, but you can put any files you want in there.
http://uk.geocities.com/dale1000@btinternet.com/colderley_homepage.html

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the pics you could put them all in one folder and upload that to
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Computer Bytes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: