4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Auto Trans ATF Change Mishap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rfairbairn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:29    Post subject: Auto Trans ATF Change Mishap Reply with quote

I took my 93 Citation auto for an atf change not long ago, hoping it would resolve intermittent (when hot) problems with revere gear engaging. Before the dealer peformed the change they told me there was no filter to be removed, replaced or cleaned. This contradicts what I think I know about the system, but as I know so little I figure that the dealer will know what to do.

Anyway, the fluid change made no difference at all to the reverse gear issue and seems to have introduced a new feature in that sometimes second gear won't engage and there will be a mighty rev before it does. I just checked the fluid (at 2am in the night heat!) and found that its wayyyy over h mark. I took the car for about a 30 minute run before checking the fluid and the engine wasn't running when I checked.

I'm in Erith, Kent right now for the next while and wonder if there is anyone nearby that would be recommended? I plan to check the fluid again tomorrow in daylight (less antisocial than running the engine at 2am in the street where mother in law lives).

Did I get short changed by the dealer or should I have asked for something more than what seems to have been a drain and atf replace without any filter change, flush or whatever.

Thanks in advance.

R
p.s. Just passed MOT without a single thing needing done. YEAHH!
Software for Blind Computer Users
--
View user's profile Send personal message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

rfairbairn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluid overfilled as expected. About 5mm above the topmost mark on the dipstick when cold started, run through gears and tested when running. That probably explains why the gears have been playing up.

A hot phone call to dealer is forecast for 7.45am Monday morning.

R.
--
View user's profile Send personal message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
eithan h

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

you do have to have the engine running when you dip an auto otherwise it will read way over the full mark, just make sure it's in either park or neutral and with the engine running dip it as normal.
rfairbairn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was running. I started it cold and shifted through all the gears. Then I tested the level. It was well above the max for hot, let alone cold.

Thanks for the reply

R
--
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: