4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Will these tyres fit??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnborris

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:59    Post subject: Will these tyres fit?? Reply with quote

My 1992 3.1 Citation has BF Goodrich AT 245/75 R16 tyres on the rear and Conti Trak 245/70 R16's on the front.

Basically the tyres are different sizes front and rear and this does not allow me to engage 4 wheel drive.

Can I fit 245/75 R16's on the front without fouling the steering?

The existing front tyres, 245/70's, are showing signs of wear on the inner edges, but the rear ones are like new so it would be a shame to replace them
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Philp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a nasty old mix of tyres. I think you can get up to 265's under a standard trooper so 245's should be fine. As you've got both sizes surely the easiest way to check is swap em round and see, ya big plank! Laughing

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
johnborris

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx Phil,

I bought the trooper with that mix of tyres...and wondered when I engaged the four wheel drive it kinda seized up.....I was lucky not to have snapped something.

It was when the tyres were constantly losing pressure and I took it to a mate who resealed the rims that I was informed that I had different tyres front and rear....and NOT to use it in four wheel drive....!

The thing was that the tyres were all in good condition so I left them on to save money etc...

But, due to worn bottom ball joints, which I replaced a few months ago, the front Conti's have bad wear on the insides.

The biggest thing is that I use the car to visit our friends in the south of France 2 or 3 times a year and if I have a puncture my spare is only good for the front, so I need to get the same size all round inc the spare.

My car has done 190K now and cost me the 2 ball joints, a new fuel tank (messy job) and a set of heater plugs.........so bangernomics make sense.

Insurance is £213 fully comp protected with me and the wife driving and I get around 400 to a tank in the UK and had 475+ in France.

I have a small oil leak that I can live with....but cherish the day I got rid of my '95 Ford Maverick 2.7 TD which I kept for 9 years and was one thirsty car and not a patch on the trooper for comfort.
Lynn Johnson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

personaly I would fork out now and have the same tyres all round , after all you'd only wish you had done when your stuck on the side of route national with an odd spare
Lynn
Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also ... dont use 4WD on hard, dry or firm surfaces! If you do it can/will cause damage to your transmission. The troopers dont have a central diff and so any differences in wheel circumference or even the effects of steering cause the transmission to wind up.
Philp

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, another Francophile, assuming my welding gets mine through its MoT I'm off down to my house in southern France for three weeks in three weeks time, more of a working trip though. Trying to get the right tyre brought out to you in the middle of rural France could be interesting, I hope you carry a can of tyre weld!

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: