2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Coil springs and shock absorber suppliers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BIGJIM78

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 23:07    Post subject: Coil springs and shock absorber suppliers Reply with quote

Hello all, I have a 1996 Bighorn 3.1 TD with lotus handling, can anyone help with suppliers for coil springs and shock absorbers. These were worn out when I got the vehicle and bought replacements from Milner offroad. They told me there is no difference in the parts, but there is, and I would like to fit the proper parts before selling the car. I have had the vehicle for over two years and have discarded the original parts. Many thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 23:07    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

markymoan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you dont want aftermarket parts then the only place is the main dealers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming the lotus parts were tuned for on road handling. In which case (and being as how I don't think they were ever sold in the UK) you're gonna struggle to get hold of OEM parts. If you know the right length and spring rate you could go to a good spring manufacturer and they could make/supply you springs at the right spec. Shocks, again, you should be able to find aftermarket shocks that match or exceed the original units, maybe from someone like procomp or there are companies that will make them to your spec but you're talking ££££.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
BIGJIM78

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to Phil and markymoan for your help. Because Milners would not take their parts back, I decided to fit them and at least get some use out of them. The originals were so worn out there was no point keeping them so they went for scrap. Had I known then the difficulty in obtaining O. E. parts I would have kept them for a pattern. Well, we all live and learn. Best Regards Jim.
markymoan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get springs re-tempered to whatever you want, i think the closest to me is in rochdale (dont quote me on that) if you are in the north i can find out for you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a place near me (also in the north-west) Rossendale Road Springs in Haslingden that can do this sort of thing.

markymoan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats it, well it is a bit like rochdale Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies but I live in Poole and the coil springs I have fitted are basically still new. The originals have been discarded so there is no chance to have them "modified". The problem with the ones I have fitted is the clearance between the wheel arch and the tyre. The front wheel clearance is 2.75" and the rear wheel is 6.75" which makes the rear looks as if its "jacked up on steroids" It does not seem to cause any problems with driving the vehicle, apart from changing the steering angles. It just does not look right and causes "the other half" problems getting in and out. I have cut part of the springs off, sufficient to make the vehicle more level but, because the shock absorbers are longer than the originals, when the car body is jacked up the coil springs are coming away from the chassis, ok for normal driving but if the rear axle drops into a pothole then the spring could be dislodged-this is the reason I am trying to fit oem parts. All I need is part numbers for shocks and springs so I can order the proper parts. Regards Jim.
markymoan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need part numbers phone isuzu uk 0121 522 2000 thats all i can say really.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you I will give them a ring and see how much help they can give Jim.
Philp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, I don't think the Lotus versions were sold in the UK so I don't think you'll get direct replacements here in the UK, it may be that you'll need to import them from japan or maybe Oz or New Zealand, maybe a member from down under may be able to help you source the right stuff. I wouldn't hold your breath about getting any help from Isuzu on a grey imported motor.

Grandad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigjim you say the clearance between the tyre and wheelarch is about 2.75" at the front It should be around about 6" on the lotus the vehicle you have was lowered for some reason the springs you had from milners were the right height you should have raised the front on the torsion bars that would have given the right clearance all round sorry to be the bearer of bad news

the springs tuned for ride and handling are in the isuzu parts catalogue
BIGJIM78

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read the two last replies and will reply later in the week. I have seen a number of other lotus handling isuzu's and there ride height is level with 3" clearance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: