QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Unhelpful Proven

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Isuzu Dealers / Motor traders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capstandriver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 21:15    Post subject: Unhelpful Proven Reply with quote

Contacted Proven a few days ago to get the timing belt on my Bighorn changed - they didn't want to know and were very unhelpful with any alternatives. They came out with some story about engines on import vehicles being different and not being able to guarantee the work and so on. Guess where I won't be buying any spares from with that sort of attitude!!!!!!!!! BTY I found a place to get the timing belt changed (4x4 Solutions in Uckfield) and the attitude towads trying to help couldn't have been more different. It's booked in for this Friday and I'll let you know how I get on........

Ian P.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 21:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

flashman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, I think you will find the same reaction from any main dealer. Isuzu UK have barred all their dealers from handling non European imports. I looked at an import model and spoke to several main dealers re servicing etc. They all had the same story, some spare parts will fit any model. Some will not, the Far Eastern models do have a slightly different spec to the engine and as such UK parts may fit but cause different stress levels and a possible failure. Who picks up the bill if your new timing belt breaks and blows the engine, not Isuzu. This is why the ban was imposed. I think you will find other manufacturers operate a similar system.

I'll snap it if I can
Capstandriver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashman,

Why would the motor be any different for the UK? Surely a 4JG2T engine stress level is going to be the same whatever market the vehicle is destined for. It would be an interesting exercise to get hold of an Isuzu parts catalogue to see if the 'Japanese' spec engine has the same part no. timing belt as a UK spec engine or indeed what (if any) differences there are in the specifications for the timing belts. I, for one, cannot see a mass production operation such as Isuzu producing too many variants for their engines otherwise they will loose their enconomies of scale and so on. Maybe I'm being cynical but if Boeing can licence other manufacturers to produce parts for their aircraft surely a simple across the board spec for something like this could not be too difficult to organise. I deeply suspect that this has more to do with protecting the residual price of UK spec vehicles and thereby what Isuzu can demand for new vehicles than for engineering reasons. If the vehicle is maintained in accordance with the manufacturers specifications at the appropriate intervals, even if we have to use Japanese sourced parts, then I cannot see any problems with reliability or are conditions in Japan that different???? They are missing out on a potentially huge market for parts with this attitude and that is where the majority of any profit is made.

Any comments??????

Ian P.
flashman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian

I agree with what you say. I found it hard to believe that engines etc could be different for each country. That was until as I said previously I was shown a 3.1 Bighorn alongside a 3.1 UK car. I am not qualified to provide specific details but the engine bay layout was slightly different and the engine 'add ons' were slightly different. This was confirmed by the service manager who explained that the Bighorn had been recovered in to them. The diagnostic equipment Isuzu used indicated an engine fault but that the UK parts would not fit. The owner had arranged to import the part direct from Japan, at considerable cost, to get his car back on the road. Isuzu could/would not help because none of their staff were trained to work on Bighorns.
I wouldn't like to say too much more as I am NOT qualified enough in the technical specifications.

I'll snap it if I can
arkangel5

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have a 2.5 pajero exceed and am looking to change it for a trooper (need more power) It is the same with the Pajero the parts are not the same. A friend of mine repairs a lot of shoguns and has about 6 broken up in his yard. I know when I have taken parks off they would not interchange with the Pajero. So I assume it will be the same with the Trooper/bighorn
Paul Rainbow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Trooper is a global car. It can be sold to a Farmer in the Andes or the caravanner in Eastbourne, it could be used on the African plain or the frozen wastes of Alaska and each time the car will be expected to perform faultlessly for a long time.

Each country will have the vehicle tailored to the specific requirements of that country. If you import a car that has been built for Spain for example, it is probable that the timing belt may have differing charictaristics to one built in the UK which is why Isuzu will not entertain looking after a none home model vehicle.

Merely acting as devils advocate here, as I feel sure that the economics of it wouldn't have occurred to Isuzu. Would it?

I know, I still cannot spell charictaristic, or advocat.
suzu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if i'm allowed to say this but i work for a main dealer and we have no problems servicing bighorns or monterays or most pickups. we do struggle with the lorrys though the ramps aint big enough!!! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Isuzu Dealers / Motor traders All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: