QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Rear lights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Webby

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 18:52    Post subject: Rear lights Reply with quote

Don't know if anyone else suffers with the same problem as me (that's asking for trouble!) but i think that the tail lights are too low and nearly always covered with mud. So, after much thought, i wonder if it is possible to modify the fog lights to accept a combined stop/tail bulb. Then i should be seen better.
Also whilst we are on electrics, are heated mirrors any good? I seem to have to clean them every time i want to reverse my trailer. Not having them don't know if they will make any difference.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Webby
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 18:52    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

fifth4x4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heated mirrors are good. Obviously they will still get dirty Laughing but if they are just wet (or frosty) then they dry off. I have used them frequently when towing.Funnily enough I was just thinking that the lights were rather low and got filthy. They're going to get filthy tomorrow Smile Smile Going to have some fun in the mud Smile Smile
Philp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the lights in my MK1's bumpers are very corroded behind, they still work after some attention but are not ideal. As my little quarter bumpers are pretty rotten underneath I have been towing with making some out of some box section with some new lights in that are fixed to the rear crossmember well enough to use a high lift jack on. Won't solve the dirt problem though. I'd be tempted to modify the top ones and also keep the bottom ones, I know this was popular with early disco owners as they had the same problems.

I also want heated mirrors as mine seem to steam up in wet weather, they do make kits for defenders but I don't know if they are the right saze and how do you get the glass out in one piece (I may also need a bigger alternator!)

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Webby

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did wonder if it would be possible to fit the mirror glass from a higher spec trooper. I assume the mirrors are the same size. I also assume that the wiring may also be in place. When you take off the switch blanks on the dash there are connectors below several. Don't know if it only needs a fuse or something more complex.
Had a Fourtrak before the Trooper which I fitted a high level set of lights from the previous model to. Was amazed at the difference it made.
Peterjday

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you about the lights being too low - especially when people tail-gate.

I've modified the upper lights, the ones in the bodywork. On my '95 Monterey one section is blanked off and used as a reflector. I used a fly cutter and a file to make the right shaped hole in the plastic moulding at the back of each lens - to accept a spare rear/brake bulb holder.

I now have two low level rear / brake lights and two high level rear / brake lights.

It is dead easy to do and I recommend it.

Peter
Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to the mirrors have you tried RAIN-X ... available from most motor dealers and it helps clear the rain droplets. One tip - never put it on your windscreen, its great for windows/mirrors that dont have wipers but smears like mad on your windscreen.

HTH

Chris
Webby

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,
Great advice, has taken me an age but have finally had a look at the upperlights on my truck.  I see what you mean, the hole for the bulb holder is even marked.  Have now got some stop/tail bulb holders, so can get the job done.
Peter Bonnell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 18:22    Post subject: rear lights Reply with quote

Iv'e done the same with the stop/tail lights , a couple of bulb holders and a bit of wiring , looks a lot better from the back now
brains

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 0:13    Post subject: rear lights Reply with quote

i am going to convert the back lights so that the fog lights are on the bottom instead of the tail lights , also i think that heated mirrors are a god send since fitting them in my astra but did not know that you can get them on a mk 1 trooper , which model do i look out for in the scrap yard lads  Question  Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: