QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Low oil pressure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keithj

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 20:04    Post subject: Low oil pressure Reply with quote

Greetings all, went away for few days down to Devon with the caravan just got back. Anyway on my way down there I noticed the oil pressure was down from around 80 psi to 40 psi, pulled into the services waited for the oil to drop down to the bottom of the engine checked levels it was OK about midway on the dipstick but decided to top up just in case. started the engine, oil pressure back to where it should be 80psi. No more probs until the next day when we went out for the day same thing happened 80psi for about 10 minutes then it dropped to 40psi by this time I was a bit worried. On the way home today same thing happened. I had the car
(98 Troop 3.1) serviced at Chemix in November and "think" they did all the work except the oil filter which I think is plugged whats your opinions on what could be the problem? I'm hoping thats all it is. Obviously I can't go back and complain it's too late and I can't prove it.

Done around 4000mls since that service and I've never known a filter to plug that quick. Its due for another service and It's got to be right as we are off to France for 3 weeks in June.

If anyone knows what the problem is you guys will.

Thanks in advance

keith
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 20:04    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

markymoan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt worry to much, if it was a car with just an oil light you wouldnt even think about it, your pressure will go high and low depending on the oil temp Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just posted a question virtually opposite from this Very Happy Was the car always at 80psi when hot or have you only just noticed the drop? Mine is 90psi when cold then 60psi when hot. I'm not concerned about the 60 or even if it's down to 40psi. I'm more concerned that the relief valve isn't opening!
I personally wouldn't expect the filter to cause a drop in pressure, usually the opposite. The filters are cheap and oil isn't too dear so what have you got to loose by changing them? It's due in 500 miles anyway Very Happy
2000 Astra Estate (work)
2006 VXR Astra
MK1 SR Nova
keithj

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Mark, had similar thoughts myself about the light but I've never had the pressure drop like this before.

keith
keithj

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonkem wrote:
I've just posted a question virtually opposite from this Very Happy Was the car always at 80psi when hot or have you only just noticed the drop? Mine is 90psi when cold then 60psi when hot. I'm not concerned about the 60 or even if it's down to 40psi. I'm more concerned that the relief valve isn't opening!
I personally wouldn't expect the filter to cause a drop in pressure, usually the opposite. The filters are cheap and oil isn't too dear so what have you got to loose by changing them? It's due in 500 miles anyway Very Happy

jonkem, the pressure stays around 80psi (ish) at all times and as I've said it is due for a service now, I'm just concerned that I've not had this problem before and the last thing I need in France is a knackered engine.

regards keith
markymoan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet after the service all will be fine, for some reason troopers batter oil to death and need the 3000 mile change Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope so Mark.

keith
:::Matski:::
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly my 2.8 sits at 41/2 (kg by square cm) and drops to 2/12 when warm.

But drop's when at idle, and raises when you put some revs on.

I considered this to be normal...... Confused
Suckin' Diesel Baby!

jonkem

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matski: sorry mate it's a bit late at night for me to get the calculator and work that one out Smile Although the drop at idle is normal, i've seen 2.3s that don't register at all when idling and the light still doesn't come on!

Markymoan: I'm trying to find a cheap source for fully synthetic and stop me worrying about them bashing the oil. My old 2.5 Fronty was the same & I even had to go to fully synth for the gearbox because it used to be in a right state when changed.
2000 Astra Estate (work)
2006 VXR Astra
MK1 SR Nova
keithj

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I could have been mistaken on the oil pressure, it's still dropping to midway on the clock, then climbes under load. Embarassed

keith
darren m

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithj -- i,m having the exact same prob as you , i just did,nt explain it as well , have you sorted the problem out yet.

cheers
Darren .
skeletor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 23:46    Post subject: oil pressure dropping ? Reply with quote

markymoan wrote:
I bet after the service all will be fine, for some reason troopers batter oil to death and need the 3000 mile change  Rolling Eyes

well..my engine..2.8 v6, starts up around 70..then drops around 55
as i tool around town...idling in the 20's..i change my oil every 3000
miles...so i guess it depends on yer engine, type of oil, how well it
was taken of, if you weren't the original owner,and so on..
THE QUIET ONE

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELL UR ALL DOING BETTER THAN ME START OF COLD TOP RANGE WHEN HOT JUST ABOVE 0  Shocked

mk1 2.8 ex skippy
mu 3.1 xs turbo
bendy bus
SCUM RUN 2010
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: