2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

oil filter 3.1 bighorn

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brains

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is probabley how mine came loose but i dident know untill i got a phone call off the wife saying the car has just stoped and is making funny noises(not funny), i will have to experiment on diferant types to find the beast one , the three leg one seems like the best idea.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 17:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

shinz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

cowman wrote:
you cannot use a 3.0 filter on a 2.8 the thread size is smaller ,as for the three leg puller ,it is good for taking it off ,but i was told to give it half a turn after hand tightening with a strap .you would damage it with the three leg wrench .it has been known for them to come loose if not.

Because of the difficulty in being able to get my big mit around a new filter with enough purchase to to give it that extra half turn after the seal touches I use my three arm wrench to tighten it. I mark the filter so I can see that I do not over tighten ( ie turn too far) but the force needed is quite small & it barely marks the paint, much less damages the filter, & I consider it very important to make sure the filter is correctly tensioned.
Steve.
:::Matski:::
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

cowman wrote:
you cannot use a 3.0 filter on a 2.8 the thread size is smaller ,as for the three leg puller ,it is good for taking it off ,but i was told to give it half a turn after hand tightening with a strap .you would damage it with the three leg wrench .it has been known for them to come loose if not.

The three leg wrench only undoes, as it closes one way and opens the other.

I use a chain wrench to tighten.

In the season I change the oil and filter every six weeks or so and with the gadget it is a very quick job.

Before I got it I one spent 2 1/2 hours taking the filter off with a chain wrench, with the filter slowly crumpling Evil or Very Mad
Peej
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

:::Matski::: wrote:
cowman wrote:

In the season I change the oil and filter every six weeks or so and with the gadget it is a very quick job.

Before I got it I one spent 2 1/2 hours taking the filter off with a chain wrench, with the filter slowly crumpling Evil or Very Mad

I will admit to crushing a few with a strap!
:::Matski:::
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am used to working on boat engines, if they are a bit tight there is plenty of room to bang a screw driver through Laughing
Peej
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subtle approach I see! As an aside our canal boat last year had an Isuzu engine.
shinz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

:::Matski::: wrote:

The 3 legged filter wrench I have will tighten as well as undo, similar to this one, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-37871-3-Leg-Filter-Wrench/dp/B0001K9U00

I can't say for sure if this one will but it appears to work the same as mine, the legs can go either side of centre.

Re Filter types, after looking at a couple of filter manufacturers sites, there are two filters listed for the 2.8, a smaller one for the turboed engine, with M20 x 1.5 thread (Fram PH5203) & a larger one for the turboed & intercooled engines with a M26 x 1.5 thread (Fram PH5190), this latter is also the filter for the 3.1 4JG2TC engines up till about '95 ( & maybe some later) Some later 3.1s, mine included had a longer skinnier filter and as has been stated earlier in this thread they are very similar to the larger filter for the 4jx1 (3.0 ) engine (Fram p9760) I cannot access the Ryco website in New Zealnd just now, they've changed it & its not playing, but this equates to a Ryco Z600, & as far as I could see, it was the same as the Ryco Z554 which was the recommended model for mine. They are identical as regards seal ring size, thread size & case size & are both a partial bypass filter with two filter cartridges in them. The filter housing on mine has a tube about 3 " long extending from where it threads on. I understand but haven't seen it that the PH5190 type doesn't have this. I know that my filter type is over 1/2" thinner than the 5190s & heaps easier to remove & install. These numbers were gained from this site
http://www.filtrauto.com/catalogues/FO/scripts/fram_accueil.php?lang=GB
Hope this helps rather than confuses.Confused
Steve.
brains

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

only a little  Confused but it helps thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: